Paint workshop walls or leave natural wood?
This is an adjunct to my shop thread.  I got the paneling up for the most part.  I still need to trim the ceiling and corner and add much more french cleat.  I'll trim in 1x4 or 1x3 pine.  

The duct collector will be elevated as high as I can to obscure the window less.  I need to add a 2x12 cleat for that and figure out how to lift it.  I have a few outlet cut-out errors to mask as well.  

The question I had asked in my shop thread was whether to paint the walls or not.  The decision was to paint.  I'm now re-thinking that decision even though I have $120 in paint standing by.  The third wall of this shop is unpainted drywall (firewall to the house) so the paint still has utility if I don't use it here.  The 4th wall is OSB, and I'm not sure what I'll do there.  

Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Mike
The 55 gallon drum is taller than the 35 buy quite a bit I bough my grizzly collector with the factory stand it adjusts to the higher position for the taller drum
of course you can just raise the drum you have with a shop built platform on casters or some thing simular
I have OSB I painted it my shop
A freind has plywood he ureithained his I like his better I think when you get it all trimmed it will look nice paneled
Gloss urethaine will make it some what brighter of course white paint more so but i believe I like the paneling better as long as you have plenty of lights
Paint white. Makes a big difference in lighting. Its a shop.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-17-2018, 06:45 PM)Admiral Wrote: Paint white. Makes a big difference in lighting. Its a shop.

Admiral is on target. Eggshell or semi-gloss.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(06-17-2018, 03:47 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: This is an adjunct to my shop thread.  I got the paneling up for the most part.  I still need to trim the ceiling and corner and add much more french cleat.  I'll trim in 1x4 or 1x3 pine.  

The duct collector will be elevated as high as I can to obscure the window less.  I need to add a 2x12 cleat for that and figure out how to lift it.  I have a few outlet cut-out errors to mask as well.  

The question I had asked in my shop thread was whether to paint the walls or not.  The decision was to paint.  I'm now re-thinking that decision even though I have $120 in paint standing by.  The third wall of this shop is unpainted drywall (firewall to the house) so the paint still has utility if I don't use it here.  The 4th wall is OSB, and I'm not sure what I'll do there.  

My shop has OSB walls ,smooth side toward the room. I did not paint the walls as I have 9 windows and a double entrance door. In your case if you do not have natural light along with ceiling lighting, I would paint the walls white. 
As far as lifting the air filtration unit ( assuming that is what you meant when you said "dust collector") Two men can lift it and a third person place a prop underneath . Then lag screw into the joists or like I had to do ,install 5/4 x 4 each side across the joists and lag the unit onto the 5/4 x 4's.
When I first put the unit up 20+ years ago  I recall doing it myself. I had to lower the unit a couple of months ago because it did not run. After the repair I got my son and wife to help me re-install the unit. My wife put the prop under the unit while we held it up to the ceiling. Installed the unit in less than 3 minutes without killing myself. Too old to do this stuff solo anymore. 
mike
(06-17-2018, 06:45 PM)Admiral Wrote: Paint white.  Makes a big difference in lighting.  Its a shop.

What he said.  Your eyes will thank you.
If you paint use semi gloss. Flat paint tends to hold the dust more. What color is basically what you like. I used a very off white on everything and it’s a bit too sterile. If I was to do it again I would use a light beige. Maybe the doors and window time slightly darker.

If you have enough lights a light color will be fine. For my 20x20 shop I have 10 T5 four foot light plus other task lighting. It would still be bright enough if I went a tad darker.
Don
White...anything else reduces the reflected light.

Friend painted his a biege or tan (what his wife wanted....wtf?) Less light than unpainted drywall.

Ed
I have dirty 35-year-old drywall (almond?) and one bay in base white that still smells 'new paint'. White psychologically expands the space. It obviously drastically improves light reflection. 

Considering your equipment storage design, the color won't matter one bit.
(06-17-2018, 03:47 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: This is an adjunct to my shop thread.  I got the paneling up for the most part.  I still need to trim the ceiling and corner and add much more french cleat.  I'll trim in 1x4 or 1x3 pine.  

Normally I'm loath to paint wood, but since that's a standard peeled grain pattern, I'd paint it.  However, I'm also a fan of color so I'd do something other than plain white.  Either a warmer Navajo or tan color, or even go two tone with a chair rail.  Perhaps a blue or green with white trim or an off white with blue or gray trim.  My garage shop is Navajo white on three walls, with the fourth in a very pale green.  All the trim was done in a gray/green S&W Oyster Bay.  Oh, did I mention I'm not really a fan of plain white?