Trestle style Cedar coffee table
Last year I made a TV stand out of 2 X 4 Cedar Lowes sells and I really liked how it turned out.

So I decided to make a trestle style coffee table out of the same material.  This is my second attempt at mortise and tenon joinery.  I still have more work to do to the table but I couldn't resist dry fitting it to see how it looks.  I'm building this without plans and making changes as I go.  In the future I'm going to do this type of work off of drawings but for now I just figure it out as I go.

Dimensions of the table are 52" long, 24" wide and 18" tall.  Nothing fancy and I consider this build practice because this is the type of dining room table I want to build for my home in the near future.
(06-18-2018, 04:53 AM)Duane N Wrote: Last year I made a TV stand out of 2 X 4 Cedar Lowes sells and I really liked how it turned out.

So I decided to make a trestle style coffee table out of the same material.  This is my second attempt at mortise and tenon joinery.  I still have more work to do to the table but I couldn't resist dry fitting it to see how it looks.  I'm building this without plans and making changes as I go.  In the future I'm going to do this type of work off of drawings but for now I just figure it out as I go.

Dimensions of the table are 52" long, 24" wide and 18" tall.  Nothing fancy and I consider this build practice because this is the type of dining room table I want to build for my home in the near future.

You did an excellent job.  I like it.  Good use of Lowes wood!
RP
I like it a lot!  Very nicely done!

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop

Cool ..............................
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
Nice. 

Wood doesn't have to be perfect to make stuff from it, A few knots etc are "character", and show it's real wood, not plastic laminate.
Coming along great.  Fifteen years ago I made a bench and coffee table using the leftovers from the front deck. I used almost exactly the same design. All salt treated materials.  The wife's comment was, "Whatever."

Fifteen years later, after sitting outside in the weather, they are still here. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Nice! I never find anything of that quality at my borgs.
(06-22-2018, 07:49 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: ...  Fifteen years ago I made a bench and coffee table using the leftovers from the front deck. I used almost exactly the same design.  All salt treated materials. ...

What are "salt treated materials"?

OP: Very nice design and build. You gonna put a finish on it?
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(06-22-2018, 10:55 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Nice! I never find anything of that quality at my borgs.

Trust me....I had to go through a few pieces to get some that wasn't split or had knots missing.  They were rough sawn and even some which I thought would work I had to put aside after jointing and planning them.  The discards are made into bird feeders.
(06-22-2018, 12:57 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: What are "salt treated materials"?

OP: Very nice design and build. You gonna put a finish on it?

I was thinking of using General Finishes salad bowl finish.