Rosette of a Different Sort
Hey Rapscallions!

I'm using a Rasp on some Scallops!

I had used a fretsaw to cut an oval in a thin board -- made from cutoffs OF cutoffs I had.  It was a decent oval but I felt the need to draw attention away from minor shape errors.  So I started using a "saw handle rasp" to make some scallops:

The end-intent of this piece will be the top panel of a tissue-box wooden cover:

Chris
Chris
How do you like that rasp? It's next up on my rasp list.
(06-18-2018, 07:15 PM)theoldfart Wrote: How do you like that rasp? It's next up on my rasp list.

It's certainly a well-made rasp.  I actually don't use it too often; when I repair a saw-tote I usually end up using a coarser hobby rasp that removes material faster (also with a bit bigger radius).   This Gramercy one leaves a fairly fine surface.

- Chris
Chris
Thank you for the reply.
Nice save ... but, your eye must be sharper than mine. I would think a smoothed edge to prevent catching tissue would work out any flaws you see. I like the grain. Is the box all the same species. I don't recognize it.
(06-22-2018, 10:40 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Nice save ... but, your eye must be sharper than mine. I would think a smoothed edge to prevent catching tissue would work out any flaws you see. I like the grain. Is the box all the same species. I don't recognize it.

As it turns out,  I flipped the lid and kept the smooth side up ...     The scalloped side is hidden underneath now.   I outsmarted myself,  again!!

The rosette piece is red oak.   The sidewalls are hackberry, I think!

Thanks,
Chris
Chris
Now a pic...   yep,   "What is going on with this Sorry Forum" 
Smile

Chris
Nice! You find the prettiest wood and know how to show it off. Thanks.