Food vacuum storage as veneer press?
Question 
So I want to build the small table in Pop Ww'ing's issue #199.  The author suggests using a vacuum press designed for skateboard builders; current price was about $60.  I have a food prep vacuum thingy that uses open ended bags for food storage; seal one end, fill with food, pump down, and seal.

Is there any reason I shouldn't try using it as a vacuum press for small projects?  I already figure I'll remove any sharp edges to ensure they don't puncture the bag.
Semper fi,
Brad

(06-19-2018, 12:45 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: So I want to build the small table in Pop Ww'ing's issue #199.  The author suggests using a vacuum press designed for skateboard builders; current price was about $60.  I have a food prep vacuum thingy that uses open ended bags for food storage; seal one end, fill with food, pump down, and seal.

Is there any reason I shouldn't try using it as a vacuum press for small projects?  I already figure I'll remove any sharp edges to ensure they don't puncture the bag.

It does work rather well for veneering. bent lams, not so much unless you can fit the form in the bag. 
You'll want to pull the vacuum and then seal the bag (rather than leave the pump running).
Oh yeah, it automatically seals once a certain vacuum is reached.

I'll give it a try.
Semper fi,
Brad

Actually, I did a blog post about exactly this for 2Sand.com several years ago. 
https://2sand.com/blogvacuum-press-for-small-parts/

I also happen to own one of the “Roarocket” vacuum systems. I bought their larger bag, can do a 24” by 36” panel if I recall. The hang pump takes time to eveacuate the bag, but the system works.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.