PM100 motor replacement options?
My 1958 PM100 motor finally died.  It has a 184 frame motor, but I'm not wedded to it; I don't mind modifying the mounting plate to accept another motor frame.  Having said that, can any of you recommend whether I should try to hunt down a 184 motor or find something else?  Time matters, as I have projects lined up, but finances do, too.

Semper fi,
Brad

Frame size info will also determine shaft dia and length

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

The old 184 frame motor will be hard to find.  Most modern motors will be a T-frame and denoted as 184T for example.  The old 184 frame had a 7/8" shaft.  I suspect that a 145T frame motor will be your best bet for a replacement since it will have a 7/8" shaft.  A 145T frame 2 HP motor is what came on my 1993 Powermatic 100 (Baldor L3515T).  I suspect that some new holes will have to be drilled in the base for mounting.

Be sure that the windings are burned out.  A capacitor failure can create an awful cloud of smoke but can easily be replaced.
I just replaced the capacitor a year ago. The motor was incredibly hot to the touch and was making an awful noise.

I don't mind replacing drive pulleys if I have to.
Semper fi,
Brad

I would have that motor rebuilt.
I'm contemplating rebuilding it in my shop. My day job is building wiring harnesses at NASA, after all.
Semper fi,
Brad

(06-21-2018, 12:21 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'm contemplating rebuilding it in my shop.  My day job is building wiring harnesses at NASA, after all.

See what is wrong before replacing it.  May be the capacitor or a stuck centrifugal switch or bearings.  All easy to replace.  If the windings are burnt replace the motor.  Roly