Grizzly's prices on some machines going up 25%
(06-22-2018, 10:00 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Tariffs never work in the long haul; 

I may be proven wrong in the future, but my guess is that this "tariff" is simply a bargaining chip, i.e. "Art of the Deal" on steroids. This trade problem has been avoided like the plague by past administrations (both parties). Just another of the pledges DJT made during the campaign.

As for the death of your company, it seems like you were very lucky being at the right place at the right time - good for you! In companies it's all about leadership. The ones that are well led survive and thrive; the others don't. As an example, just look at what the board at GE allowed Jeff Immelt to do to that company. The stock of that formerly great old American pillar of industry has now been pulled off of the Dow - what a shame. 

This dynamic is outlined and explained in detail in a very good book, "Good to Great" by Jim Collins, former head of the Graduate School of Business at Stanford University. The chapter on "Level 5 Leadership" lays it all out. Immelt didn't even come close.

Doug
This type of trade war has been a long time coming.

Started 30+ years ago with big manufactures buying overseas equipment because it was cheaper.

They beat American machine buliders into oblivion, "cut your price or we'll go elsewhere".

They couldn't compete.

There is no choice now, they have to buy imported machinery and it doesn't come from China.

China is being targeted because of the ginormus trade imbalance, most being dollar store junk.

Ed
(06-23-2018, 09:58 PM)EdL Wrote: China is being targeted because of the ginormus trade imbalance, most being dollar store junk.

Ed

Perhaps, but CANADA???
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Tapper, GE was not removed from the big board (NYSE), it was replaced on the DOW.
(06-24-2018, 08:40 AM)Admiral Wrote: Perhaps, but CANADA???

Retaliation for Celine Dion.
Tongue 
(06-24-2018, 09:12 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Retaliation for Celine Dion.

My highly trusted source in the WH suggested something else. Trump does not like J.B. more, but PM Canada is ignoring his wish:
https://www.burrardstreetjournal.com/can...dor-to-us/

Simon
(06-24-2018, 07:23 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: My highly trusted source in the WH suggested something else. Trump does not like J.B. more, but PM Canada is ignoring his wish:
https://www.burrardstreetjournal.com/can...dor-to-us/

Simon

Raised 
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Politics 
You guys also must realize that China has had High tariffs on American products for decades and America wants the tariffs reduced in China so they can afford our products.

So what has been happening to them for a long time is now happening to us and that may increase production here in USA to make a good product at the same price.

Chinese labor is not very cheap any longer also and paying their workers and themselves better as well on the American dime.

I do believe orders will go down in china and they will see if it is hurting us or life as usual or if it is hurting China worse.  If it is hurting them worse the tariffs will go away.

NOT American businesses faults at all just China who is.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-24-2018, 09:35 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I do believe orders will go down in china and they will see if it is hurting us or life as usual or if it is hurting China worse.  If it is hurting them worse the tariffs will go away.

These things aren't about who hurts more it is about who will suffer longer...  More than once in our (US) history we have bet on winning by hurting the other side more just to find out our tolerance for even less suffering is lower.
(06-24-2018, 11:39 PM)Huxleywood Wrote: These things aren't about who hurts more it is about who will suffer longer...  More than once in our (US) history we have bet on winning by hurting the other side more just to find out our tolerance for even less suffering is lower.

If more discussion is needed about this it needs to be in the basement since this area is not off topics.  I just made a statement to help Papa Griz and why prices went up and NOT his fault.

It would be nice if you started this in the basement to get everyones opinion since this is where it belongs.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.