Parents getting older. Need handrail for steps..
My wife's parents are getting older and have asked me to install some handrails for their front and back steps. They are only three steps high but, do to health reasons, they need the rails. I've searched around and cannot find a place that sells DIY iron railing kits. I could build them out of wood (4x4 posts with 2x4 handrails, etc) but since both the upper and lower post terminate in concrete, I'm not sure of the best way to anchor them so they are sturdy, long-lasting and without it looking like crap.

They are sweet people but a 4 hour drive away and in a small town 60 minutes away from the closest Home Depot. It's not like I can pop back and forth if I forget anything. I'll have to have all the materials ready if I tackle this.

I'm going down in a few days to take a look. Any ideas, products or suggestions would be appreciated.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
My neighbor installed a Home Depot sourced hand rail kit.  It was made from steel, but of such light gage and flimsy construction that I cannot recommend it.  I doubt it would withstand  a person's falling against it.

When my parents got older we ordered welded railing from a local railing shop.  The assembled and installed.  You can probably save a bit if you do your own installation.  But I would recommend the old school welded railing approach.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-21-2018, 02:47 PM)Terry W Wrote: My wife's parents are getting older and have asked me to install some handrails for their front and back steps. They are only three steps high but, do to health reasons, they need the rails. I've searched around and cannot find a place that sells DIY iron railing kits. I could build them out of wood (4x4 posts with 2x4 handrails, etc) but since both the upper and lower post terminate in concrete, I'm not sure of the best way to anchor them so they are sturdy, long-lasting and without it looking like crap.................

I'm going down in a few days to take a look. Any ideas, products or suggestions would be appreciated.

When there, take some pics and post - would likely help w/ specific recommendations - also, are there any professional companies/businesses near them that might provide an estimate(s) for the job, if you and the in-laws decide on that choice?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(06-21-2018, 03:31 PM)Cooler Wrote: When my parents got older we ordered welded railing from a local railing shop.  The assembled and installed.  You can probably save a bit if you do your own installation.  But I would recommend the old school welded railing approach.

This ^^^^

BTDT for inlaws.  The whole idea is sturdy and safe.  That being said, if cost is an issue, you might have to compromise on aesthetics, as a wood version can be made sturdy as well, just looks like crap.  BTDT too.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Look this over. https://instantrail.com/

I installed a couple of these several years ago.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(06-21-2018, 02:47 PM)Terry W Wrote: My wife's parents are getting older and have asked me to install some handrails for their front and back steps. They are only three steps high but, do to health reasons, they need the rails. I've searched around and cannot find a place that sells DIY iron railing kits. I could build them out of wood (4x4 posts with 2x4 handrails, etc) but since both the upper and lower post terminate in concrete, I'm not sure of the best way to anchor them so they are sturdy, long-lasting and without it looking like crap.

They are sweet people but a 4 hour drive away and in a small town 60 minutes away from the closest Home Depot. It's not like I can pop back and forth if I forget anything. I'll have to have all the materials ready if I tackle this.

Amazon for one sells what you want. They have cast iron 3 step handrails for $398.00 
Pipe type handrails are about 1/3 the cost but do not have balusters and do not look good to me.
There are cheaper handrails but not cast iron or steel. 

mike
Don't cheap out. Get a pro to install iron railings and be done with it. Good for house sale. Never know when those rails will save a fall. Money well spent.
John T.
Thanks for all the suggestions and the link to the Instantrail.com.  When I get there I'll know more.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.