Just in time for Halloween
8 segments from a 6" x 48" glue up blank. A regular wedgie sled is too small for that. I tried setting it for 8 segments, then removed the front fence. It was a fail. I'm not sure if the process or the execution is at fault. If you know how to do big segments successfully, I'm all ears. The joints came together ok, but the strips didn't.

These were cut on a RAS.

I had to make bigger cole jaws, mine were too small for this. They are so easy to make.

Aspen and walnut veneer. Basswood and pipe cleaner spider.

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-26-2018, 08:25 AM)hairy Wrote: 8 segments from a 6" x 48" glue up blank. A regular wedgie sled is too small for that. I tried setting it for 8 segments, then removed the front fence. It was a fail. I'm not sure if the process or the execution is at fault. If you know how to do big segments successfully, I'm all ears. The joints came together ok, but the strips didn't.

These were cut on a RAS.

I had to make bigger cole jaws, mine were too small for this. They are so easy to make.

First  off that looks great
Cool  8 wing bowl Very cool

If it's the 6" giving you problems you could have dune it in two sections . glue up 3" sections  and then add the next 3" . It's still about accuracy in every segment in keeping the lines meeting.
what you did looks great, I don't worrier about the small flaws , that makes it unique
Yes
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(06-26-2018, 09:02 AM)Woodshop Wrote: First  off that looks great
Cool  8 wing bowl Very cool

If it's the 6" giving you problems you could have dune it in two sections . glue up 3" sections  and then add the next 3" . It's still about accuracy in every segment in keeping the lines meeting.
what you did looks great, I don't worrier about the small flaws , that makes it unique
Yes
Thanks!!

Here's the glue up blank.  6" wide

I had to do this in 2 sections of 4 segments each, with a little taken off each to get the 2 halves together.

I think the problem is when I have to flip the blank for the next cut. A regular wedgie sled with 2 fences doesn't require the flip. I think the solution is HUGE wedgie sled, the problem is getting a HUGE 45 degree square to set it.

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-26-2018, 09:36 AM)hairy Wrote: I think the solution is HUGE wedgie sled, the problem is getting a HUGE 45 degree square to set it.

You could cut a big 45 degree triangle out of some MDF or Baltic birch plywood, using the factory edges for one corner. Measure out the same amount on each leg should give you a good 45 degree angle with as much as 48 inches on each leg. To be sure of the angles, the short sides must be equal and the long side must be 1.4142 times the length of a short side.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Another wonderful project buddy!
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-26-2018, 08:25 AM)hairy Wrote: 8 segments from a 6" x 48" glue up blank. A regular wedgie sled is too small for that. I tried setting it for 8 segments, then removed the front fence. It was a fail. I'm not sure if the process or the execution is at fault. If you know how to do big segments successfully, I'm all ears. The joints came together ok, but the strips didn't.

These were cut on a RAS.

did you set the sled up per the videos for a one fence sled? Doing the two fence method will not work using one fence. You could make an adjustanle sled and use Kevins measurements to set it up. miter sled plans
(06-26-2018, 09:08 PM)Angus Wrote: did you set the sled up per the videos for a one fence sled? Doing the two fence method will not work using one fence. You could make an adjustanle sled and use Kevins measurements to set it up. miter sled plans

Thanks!

I haven't seen any videos or plans of making a 1 fence sled for segments. I watched the segeasy video's, the first video is making a 2 fence sled. The next video in the series he starts out with a 1 fence sled, then focuses on the 2 fence sled.

Thanks for the link!!
In one of his videos he shows how to use a wedgie to setup a single fence sled. For the 45 degree sled you can get a large drafting square at hobby lobby or unlimited sources on line. I'm cheap so I would just use a framing square. Build the sled and run it through the saw. Put the framing square on the sawn edge. set it so you have the same measurement on both legs of the square. Say 6" and 6" using the inside of the square. The legs of the square sitting on the sled will be a true 45.