Soffit extension
The previous owners of my house enclosed part of the deck with a 3 season/ 4 season room under the extended house roof.  The problem is that there is no sofit overhang for the addition.  The rest of the house has 32" overhangs.  The only protection from the elements comes from the gutter.

I would like to extend the roof over that 12 foot section that was enclosed.

The plan is:

1.  Cut the gutter and cap the open ends on either side of the extension.
2.  Cut the fascia board and remove it.
3.  Take 2" x 8" x 32" boards and sister them up to the existing rafters leaving about 15" of overhang.
4.  Add sheathing to the top, flash and add roofing shingles.
5.  Add a front fascia
6.  Add a short run (about 12 feet) of gutter plus a downspout.
7.  Add vinyl sofit to the underside

I was planning on using construction screws for as far back as I can reach, and then heavy galvanized nails driven with a palm nailer for the sistering operation.  I think that would be strong enough.

Are there any errors in this plan?  I would have about 15" added sofit and I will be sistering up for about that same length.  I cannot imagine that the snow load on that 15 inches will be too much for that method.  But I am open to suggestions.

Also, do I attach the fascia with construction screws to the additions to the rafters, or do  I used Strong-tie brackets?  It only has to support the gutter.  I think screws would be sufficient.

Thanks,

Cooler
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I'm not a qualified structural engineer, but you are describing a cantilever addition.  I think that they usually go further than 1:1 for that.  And also, the people that post after me that say you will be fine with your plan are correct.
Can you interweave the new shingles into the existing ones and are the new shingles going to look a lot different?

Point being the sistering idea is fine, but if I were doing that the difference in the shingle colors would be a problem. The fix, of course, would be to tear off the old shingles. While you are doing that, cutting the existing sheathing up far enough to sister about 3' of new joists would allow you to be more confident in the fastening of the new sisters. Then sheathe/etc.
(06-27-2018, 01:28 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Can you interweave the new shingles into the existing ones and are the new shingles going to look a lot different?

Point being the sistering idea is fine, but if I were doing that the difference in the shingle colors would be a problem. The fix, of course, would be to tear off the old shingles. While you are doing that, cutting the existing sheathing up far enough to sister about 3' of new joists would allow you to be more confident in the fastening of the new sisters. Then sheathe/etc.

The shingles from the rear of the house are virtually invisible.  There is a 30 foot drop off the deck and you only get to see the underside of the eave or from a hot air balloon.  

I have 18" wide aluminum flashing (a large roll).  The plan is to sneak the flashing under the last row of the existing shingles and then shingle up to the older shingles.  Some of the water might migrate under the new shingles but since the aluminum flashing will be a single full sheet, it will run down and into the gutter.  It is not a perfect solution.

I might be able to weave the new shingles into the older ones, and if I can, I will.  

Note:  The hot air balloon races used to take off from Dutchess Airport and the balloons would drift over my deck.  The final year that they ran the races from the Dutchess airport, there was a strong prevailing wind and one of the balloons struck the ridge of my house.  

The following year they moved the race to a more northern locations without the hazard.  (My house is 332 feet above sea level, and the airport is 165 feet above sea level.  In earlier years they gained enough altitude to clear my roof--and no, I don't have flood insurance.
Big Grin)
Dutchess Airport? In Dutchess County?

I think I'd add construction adhesive to the mechanical fasteners for sistering those joists.

How do you race hot air balloons? Don't they all go only as fast as the wind, which is to say the same speed since they're all in the same wind?
(06-27-2018, 03:42 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Dutchess Airport?  In Dutchess County?    

I think I'd add construction adhesive to the mechanical fasteners for sistering those joists.  

How do you race hot air balloons?  Don't they all go only as fast as the wind, which is to say the same speed since they're all in the same wind?

Everyone I know always referred to them as "balloon races" when they held them at the Dutchess County airport.  It was then moved to the Rhinebeck airport and this year it is at the county fairgrounds in Rhinebeck.

It is officially a "Balloon Festival" and it does not appear that any races are held.

The previous owner of my house recalled having conversations with the balloonists as they floated over the deck 2nd story of the house.  

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-news...-rhinebeck

[Image: AR-180529671.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667]
Do they fly anything bigger than turboprops out of Dutchess Airport now? I grew up across the river from Poughkeepsie. My dad flew out of Dutchess for work a time or two. I only remember turboprops. Does Stewart have a proper jetway yet for commercial flights? The last time I flew in was 1995. Commercial flights had only started within the last few years to the AFB. We got off the jet and walked down stairs. In January. I was delayed 3 days on the return flight because of a big snow storm. When I left they'd shoveled a path across the tarmac to the stairs to the jet.
(06-27-2018, 03:42 PM)crokett™ Wrote:   
How do you race hot air balloons?  Don't they all go only as fast as the wind, which is to say the same speed since they're all in the same wind?

A balloon race isn't really a race. They fly to an intended target (within a set time frame) and throw a bean bag on the "X", the closest, wins. Another popular "race" is the hare and the hound. One balloon (the hare) takes off 30 min before all others, the "hounds" try to fly and land a close to the "hare" as possible. The whole idea of the "race" is to read the wind, it can be at many different angles and speed depending on the altitude. Also, "ride" balloons fly (and react) much slower than race balloons. In the picture posted those would be traditional ride balloons. 

This is considered a "race" balloon.

[Image: parrrichard-racingventure.jpg]
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(06-28-2018, 08:01 AM)crokett™ Wrote: Do they fly anything bigger than turboprops out of Dutchess Airport now?  I grew up across the river from Poughkeepsie.  My dad flew out of Dutchess for work a time or two.  I only remember turboprops.    Does Stewart have a proper jetway yet for commercial flights?  The last time I flew in was 1995.  Commercial flights had only started within the last few years to the AFB.   We got off the jet and walked down stairs.  In January.  I was delayed 3 days on the return flight because of a big snow storm.  When I left they'd shoveled a path across the tarmac to the stairs to the jet.

I never flew out of Dutchess Airport.  I have a friend that used that airport to fly on weekends to his Hampton home.  It tool less than a hour vs 4 to 6 hours by car (lots of weekend traffic).

I flew from Stewart a few years back to Las Vegas and it was on a full size passenger plane (jet).  The flights from Stewart are no longer cost competitive, so I fly out of other airports.

A couple years back a flight to Atlanta looked like this (from Memory--all costs approximate except for the Westchester and the Philly prices which I am fairly certain are accurate).

Westchester Airport:  $1,200.00
Stewart Airport:  $700.00
LaGuardia:  $450.00
Newark Airport:  $300.00
Philadelphia Airport:  $175.00

It is about a 3 hour drive to Philly from my house.  If it were my own money, I'd drive that distance to save $1,000.00.  It was company money; I flew out of Newark.

The pricing makes no logical sense to me.  But what does make sense is checking prices from several airports before booking a flight.