Three Drawer Chest of Drawers
(07-10-2018, 04:07 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Bandit

Is that center rail a guide for the drawers?  If so do you put a grove in the drawer or boards to guide the drawer?

All that center rail does, is keep the drawer from tipping down, when you open the drawer out a bit far....does not guide anything.   Will be adding a thin strip along the sides on the inside....drawers will be narrower, due to the face frame...just a 1 x 1.  the 1x1 strips will do the guiding...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(07-10-2018, 04:20 PM)bandit571 Wrote: All that center rail does, is keep the drawer from tipping down, when you open the drawer out a bit far....does not guide anything.   Will be adding a thin strip along the sides on the inside....drawers will be narrower, due to the face frame...just a 1 x 1.  the 1x1 strips will do the guiding...

Ahh OK I understand that.

Also I love the look of the grain on top and the sides.  It does not look like Pine.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
This is very informative. I'll be building a few chests of drawers for my kids fairly soon here, and your build-along is giving me some ideas. Thanks for sharing!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Well...Friday night a Migraine hit.
No ....even sent me to the ER....was  told it most of the night....shoulders are sore from where they shot me up.....5 times....little loopy?   Still floating around today....
Crazy
Crazy

Got the face frame installed....nothing fancy to it,  no special joints....went back to an older way I used..

Counter-bored a bunch of screws, run a few beads of glue, and screwed and glued 6 parts in place.   Will come back later, and plug all the holes with pine plugs,  and you won't see any end grain in any of them.  
Cool   

Due to the way the plywood came to the shop....had to add the plywood back in two sections....I also do not run the back panels to the floor....carpet destroys backs like that.   Back is out out of the way of any disrespect  from any carpets.

IF I get the back done, I can start on drawers....the way I'm going, it will be one at a time...

"Whoa...BAD TRIP, Man...."
Bad enough I lost a weekend....
No
Crazy
Keep getting that "Ground Control to Major....."   anyway, I did complete the back of the case..
Winkgrin  

Even a different colour to show it off with....glue and screws, this time...
Top drawer needed wider runners..
Rolleyes 

Two pieces of scrap pine, with a pair of screws each..and a spot of glue....also in the picture are the drawer guides..

These at least do not have to go all the way to the back..3/4 of the way is fine...Had to hoist the case up on the bench, again....was easier to get to the last two guides
Winkgrin  

Still have to plug all them screw holes....and start on building a drawer, or three....

Stay tuned....except for Major Tom....
Laugh
I thought that was a catchy song so long ago but do not remember who sang it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(07-16-2018, 05:16 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I thought that was a catchy song so long ago but do not remember who sang it.

Mr. Stardust himself.....David Bowie....
(07-16-2018, 05:23 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Mr. Stardust himself.....David Bowie....

Ummm, looks like you're not letting it get in the way of your work....

Thanks for letting us ride along...
Skip

Plugs were made today....

Installed..

and trimmed flush....one is sitting right in front of that chisel..
Cool  

Circular saw to cut a 1 x 8 x 8' plank down into  four drawer parts...needed a plane to square the ends
Rolleyes 

Then set up the Stanley 45 to plough a few grooves....wanted the front's done first...to help lay out the dovetails..
[attachment=11641
First I had to size the four parts to the right width, and length....more plane work.....
That will be in the next episode..stay tuned
Winkgrin

Attached Files Image(s)

Ok....hand plane to resize the parts....had to use the bandsaw, gently, to hog off most of the extras.....then the jack plane to joint the edges..

And, do a test fit..

The back was easier.   I had the two sides together, so when they were planed, they would be the same size...

I ran the groove along the bottom of the drawer front piece.   That way, I could lay out the dovetail pins better...

Then saw the lines, chop the waste from both sides.....and wind up with the pins all done..
Cool  

And be ready to lay out for the tails.....yes, I do pins first.  
Uhoh 
Next episode?    Tails and a dry fit
Winkgrin Stay tuned..