Second story deck- stairway?
I have a deck on our house, built 5 years ago, over the walkout from the basement. No stairs. Inspected, and met code. YMMV.
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. - Voltaire
Know what, Bob? You win. CharlieD, 4/21/2008
I salute you. Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue!!!! CRR, 2/19/2008
See if this helps:

http://www.traversecitymi.gov/downloads/...e_2017.pdf
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Gary- thanks but I am not in the city of Traverse City. I have talked to the township and county. The county has a hand out, but I do not see anything that answers my question. I will talk to the county permit office next week, applying for my permit. I was hoping to get a step ahead if I need to add a stairway

(07-06-2018, 10:46 PM)goaliedad Wrote: Gary- thanks but I am not in the city of Traverse City. I have talked to the township and county. The county has a hand out, but I do not see anything that answers my question. I will talk to the county permit office next week, applying for my permit. I was hoping to get a step ahead if I need to add a stairway

If you don't need one, not having one adds a layer of security.  Not many burglars carry a ladder with them.  But if you store your ladder in the back yard...
Big Grin
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-01-2018, 11:10 AM)goaliedad Wrote: I will be putting a deck up soon- 10 feet off the ground. It is over our walk out basement

Does code require an stairway? We really don’t want one. Will code require one?

Call the addition a balcony. Might need a fire escape ladder.
(07-10-2018, 07:13 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Call the addition a balcony. Might need a fire escape ladder.

A balcony doesn't have posts and rests on a cantilever. They'll want to inspect the cantilever.
Big Grin
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I used to live where Black bears were a problem. Stairs were just another entrance into the house. You could not have a tree too close to the deck, they had no problem climbing the tree and getting in the house. This was in Mammoth Lakes, California code did not require stairs, is was California where everything is known to cause cancer.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor