Old hedgeshears, parts needed
I have an old Porter Cable 103R hedge shear (trimmer, whatever) recently had a catastrophic failure when I got a little too close to some chain link fencing.  The brass gear that drives the blade lost three teeth.  I was able to find all of the brass parts in the motor case, but I can't seem to find a replacement gear for this shear. I'm not sure if it is just not available or if I don't know enough to ask for the correct part.  I'm hoping someone here can help.

Attached Files Image(s)

If you can't find it on your searches, you might find a machine shop to make it for you if your willing to spend some money on it.

You could also search for similar models that may have used the same gear. PC may have made other named machines that used the same gear you could search for.
I bet you can find it from Boston Gear. Maybe listed on eBay.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(07-02-2018, 06:06 PM)stav Wrote: I have an old Porter Cable 103R hedge shear (trimmer, whatever) recently had a catastrophic failure when I got a little too close to some chain link fencing.  The brass gear that drives the blade lost three teeth.  I was able to find all of the brass parts in the motor case, but I can't seem to find a replacement gear for this shear. I'm not sure if it is just not available or if I don't know enough to ask for the correct part.  I'm hoping someone here can help.

Hi Stav - unless this 'ancient' (assume electric) hedge trimmer has some sentimental value, why not enter the 21st century and buy a new one - plenty of options, i.e. Li Ion batteries, corded, or gas powered, depending on your needs - looked on Amazon which has dozens on 'hedge trimmer' choices - just picked out the one shown below as an example.  BUT, if you really need to revive that antique, then good luck -   Dave
Yes

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
From 1956, several of them have been posted this year on Ebay, so you may find a parts one for sale.
I wouldn't say I am sentimentally attached, although it is a very cool and unique style for a hedge trimmer. The teeth are connected to a chain that cycles around the bar rather than the typical oscillating motion. It makes for a pretty smooth user experience.  I picked it up from a thrift shop a while back and it has been great.  Generally, it would cut through anything.  Even chain link once or twice by accident. 

I'll take a look at Boston Gear and eBay to see what is out there.  If I can't get the gear, it would be a shame to toss the motor as it is still going strong.
(07-02-2018, 09:58 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi Stav - unless this 'ancient' (assume electric) hedge trimmer has some sentimental value, why not enter the 21st century and buy a new one - plenty of options, i.e. Li Ion batteries, corded, or gas powered, depending on your needs - looked on Amazon which has dozens on 'hedge trimmer' choices - just picked out the one shown below as an example.  BUT, if you really need to revive that antique, then good luck -   Dave
Yes

I agree.  The new ones are lighter and cheap enough.  But the lighter aspect would make the sale for me.  Hedge trimmers should be light.  It really then becomes an issue of battery (heavier) or corded (lighter).

I would like a hedge trimmer with the battery external attached attached to my belt.  It would be light and fully portable.  The best of both worlds.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-03-2018, 02:09 PM)Cooler Wrote: I agree.  The new ones are lighter and cheap enough.  But the lighter aspect would make the sale for me.  Hedge trimmers should be light.  It really then becomes an issue of battery (heavier) or corded (lighter).

I would like a hedge trimmer with the battery external attached attached to my belt.  It would be light and fully portable.  The best of both worlds.

May not be a new idea to the masses, but due to a corded trimmer incident, I took a ~5' piece of 1.25" dia vacuum hose and slipped/secured it over the extension cord so just the female plug end is visible. No longer can the cord (and my trimming session) be shortened accidentally by the electric hedge trimmer I use (will cut branches up to 3/4" in diameter)...