A different lathe lighting question
Have any of you tried using a strobe light on a weirdly shaped piece to help you see what's sticking out? With segmented turnings, I don't have a need or even a chance to try it but it sounds like it might work.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
that's an interesting idea.  When I first got my metal lathe, I managed to stick my finger into the chuck jaws just enough to make them hurt for a bit.  Strobe would have helped that.
(07-04-2018, 11:14 AM)EricU Wrote: that's an interesting idea.  When I first got my metal lathe, I managed to stick my finger into the chuck jaws just enough to make them hurt for a bit.  Strobe would have helped that.

That sounds like something I would think of.  But I didn't.
ETA: I responded to the wrong post... oh well.
I think that the strobe would need to be adjustable in frequency to match the rpm, but it might work. I’d love to see video of the results. 

Of course, it might not show up well on video since there is a fixed frame rate. This is why sometimes a chopper on video looks like it is flying with stationary rotors.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(07-09-2018, 07:33 PM)handi Wrote: I think that the strobe would need to be adjustable in frequency to match the rpm, but it might work. I’d love to see video of the results. 

Of course, it might not show up well on video since there is a fixed frame rate. This is why sometimes a chopper on video looks like it is flying with stationary rotors.

I don't think it would video well at all.

When I was young, I had a strobe light, that worked with a dial to increase/decrease the strobe rate. It's long gone, or I'd give a try.
[attachment=11504 Wrote:SceneryMaker pid='7641059' dateline='1530715589']Have any of you tried using a strobe light on a weirdly shaped piece to help you see what's sticking out?  With segmented turnings, I don't have a need or even a chance to try it but it sounds like it might work.

Seems this has come up many places.  One supposes something like a timing light (for you old guys) could be rigged, but in reality the irregular edge is its own strobe.  Shine a light across the rim and you will see a ghost edge formed by reflection and interruption as the piece turns. 

I use opposite my cut to keep the thing out of the way, and illuminate from inside.  It works dandy. 

Kept my knuckles unscraped on this.

And unbruised on this.

Preacher Darrell's "Angel Wings" inspiration. http://aroundthewoods.com/
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(07-10-2018, 07:53 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Seems this has come up many places.  One supposes something like a timing light (for you old guys) could be rigged, but in reality the irregular edge is its own strobe.  Shine a light across the rim and you will see a ghost edge formed by reflection and interruption as the piece turns. 

I use opposite my cut to keep the thing out of the way, and illuminate from inside.  It works dandy. 

I do the same thing and never realized others did not do it as well.  Also if you put a black background it will show up really well to or if walnut use a white background
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.