Tired of Stopping Grooves? 140 Steps In for a Job
  Re: Tired of Stopping Grooves? 140 Steps In for a Job by C. in Indy (I like to make dovet...)
A little more work quietly sneaked-in, since the "recipient" is in the house for a July visit:

Dovetails have been cut in a tail/pin pattern to allow the rabbeted ends to work.  Next, preparation for a sliding lid begins:

After slot cuts, a coping cut was done, then a chisel brought in to further level things:

Then I had to think about a suitable top and bottom panel material.  When the side walls are all nondescript alder wood, I wanted some "bling" for quartersawn wood somewhere.  And I didn't want to run the bandsaw this morning with a couple of guests in the house.  So I got out some unusually cool "pitch pine" slats that my nephew gave me several years ago.  Near-perfect quartersawn slats, very stiff and hard, now cleaning up for a 3-ganged glue up for both top and bottom panels:

More to follow later!

Chris
Chris
  Re: Tired of Stopping Grooves? 140 Steps In for a Job by C. in Indy (I like to make dovet...)
Do the tails have to be on the end of your box?  It seems like they would show better on the long sides.

Nice box, Mike !!!

When I was cutting stopped grooves for past boxes, I would orient the tails the way you did.   For this new box with cut-thru grooves, I did a switch-up.   I never mocked up alternatives, but an inspiring picture from one of the Tom Fidgen books suggested the new orientation.

A basic glue-up of the SYP thin slats looked a little cheap, so I added some 1/4" marquetry strips....
My 1960's Disston D100 aluminum-handle saw is the best bench-hook saw I have; the weight just takes over:

On the box pins, one was pretty gappy, so I cut a shim from the same alder stock.  Got a nice wedge shape right off the gent's saw, and drove it in:

Thanks for watching!
Chris
Chris
And, the sister-in-law now has a souvenir from her visit  Smile

Chris
Very nice, Chris.  One happy lady!

By the way our house hunting in Indy has not gone well.  Very hot market there.
Mike,  if you have to stay put, you had better double down on the hand tools and projects Smile
A fellow needs consolations, you know...
Chris