Freud router bit
I need a new router bit. Has anyone used a Freud quadra-cut bit?

http://www.freudtools.com/products/product/34-124
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
They are excellent bits. I still prefer Whiteside, but for the money, I don't know that you can beat a Freud quadra-cut bit.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Every Freud product I have used was worth it. They make great blades and bits.
The Quadra-cut bits are excellent....

Ed
Thanks a lot guys. I knew I could get good advice here.
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
I bought the Whiteside set.  Very nice.

5 bit set for $110.00, including extra bearings.  I think this is a good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CS...UTF8&psc=1
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-12-2018, 12:12 PM)EdL Wrote: The Quadra-cut bits are excellent....

Hi Guys - I have a bunch of round-over bits, both 1/4" & 1/2" shanks (most Freud & Whiteside brands), but all w/ just 2-cutters - SO, back to the question of the Quadra-cut design - are these really 'better' (i.e. smoother cut, easier routing, etc.) than the 2-cutter bits?  I've used round-over bits for years w/o any problems - should one replace the older design w/ these 4-cutter ones?  Will check for some reviews and comparisons - may want to give one a try?  Thanks for any comments - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Yes, they are better, especially on endgrain.

Ed
The Quadra Cut bits do cut more smoothly, but I wouldn't go replacing otherwise good 2 flute bits just to get the Quadra design. To me, the extra tips of the Quadra design are more important on the larger bits like panel raisers. The smaller bits do just fine with 2 flutes.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I agree just another gimmick in my opinion.  2 cutters been around for a long time. Just adjust your feed rate and do multiple passes without taking all off in one pass. You will get a fine no burn no matter end grain or flat grain. At least I would not replace what you have for the sake of replacing but maybe when one needs replacing give it a try and judge for yourself.
John T.