Surface grinding room
(07-17-2018, 07:55 AM)bandit571 Wrote: I tend to worry about people grinding the sides and soles of hand planes.....not every plane is an "H" model with thick sides.....some were pretty darn thin...before some people even tried their grinding systems on them.....runs the risk of a too thin casting breaking.   Normally, the ONLY planes that NEEDED squared sides were either the No. 51 miter plane ( for use in the No. 52 mitre board) or the No. 62 that some used on a shooting board.

You are right. I have a #7 that has very thin sides. Odd thing is one side is thinner than the other. I barley can grind a #7 because the cylinder stroke maxes outon my grinder. I have a couple of #7 body's that are the same way. One other thing that I watch carefully is the width of the plane. Most of them are a couple of thousandths or more wider at one end. By the way, grinding only takes off one or two thousandths. It is not a lot different than lapping it with sandpaper. It is just a lot faster and easier. I had one really cheap one, I believe it was a Pexto with a stamped steel frog, that was .025 wider at the toe than the heel. I was using it to experiment with different rocks. In a case like that I have to set up the plane to take .0125 off each side. Needless to say it went into the scrap pile.
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
(07-12-2018, 07:09 PM)Bobby Thompson Wrote: I don't do a lot of posting, mainly because I do more learning here than contributing. A lot of people here have so much more than me to contribute... 

I think you have plenty to contribute...  
Yes
(07-17-2018, 04:55 PM)WxMan Wrote: I think you have plenty to contribute...  
Yes

Thanks
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!