lifeproof rigid core luxury vinyl flooring
During personal research of this product for potential usage on a project I had unanswered questions to the products durability. Although the overall dimension is thick, the wear layer is unlisted. I took a sample to a local flooring dealer who has a vinyl flooring wear layer thickness comparator, like a feeler gauge of various used wear layers. Gauging the thickness on the Lifeproof floor wearlayer I found it quite similar to among the thinnest sample available, roughly 6 mil by my eye. For comparison, forty mil is equivalent to one millimeter. Not finding any specifications from Home Depot to show my interpretation as inaccurate I believe the products life to be on the lower end in luxury vinyl plank flooring. The products I came across at a flooring specialty retailer began at 12 mil and went to 30 mil.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(07-16-2018, 04:01 AM)Woodenfish Wrote: During personal research of this product for potential usage on a project  I had unanswered questions to the products durability. Although the overall dimension is thick, the wear layer is unlisted. I took a sample to a local flooring dealer who has a vinyl flooring wear layer thickness comparator, like a feeler gauge of various used wear layers. Gauging the thickness on the Lifeproof floor wearlayer I found it quite similar to among the thinnest sample available, roughly 6 mil by my eye. For comparison, forty mil is equivalent to one millimeter. Not finding any specifications from Home Depot to show my interpretation as inaccurate I believe the products life to be on the lower end in luxury vinyl plank flooring. The products I came across at a flooring specialty retailer began at 12 mil and went to 30 mil.
You are spot on the wear layer listed for the lifeproof is 6 mil,  by comparison the cheaper Shaw  vinyl plank the wear layer is 12 mil.   Just fyi the Lifeproof is made by the same company that made Alure, not saying it is the same product but has basically the same guarantee as the Alure, 5 years on wear through the protective layer.   Roly
I just opted for the Pergo Outlast, I really like the way it looks and was easy to install and says its water resistant.  Got it at the orange store.
I usex LVP flooring in my walkout basement.  I initially priced out carpet with the rubber/vinyl backing to prevent any moisture issue (which there are none in my basement now, but just an ounce of protection).  When the pricetag on the carpet came out at $53 a yard, I almost choked.  The flooring guy mentione vinyl, which I immediately scoffed at ... until I actuall looked and touched the product.

I went with Coretec Plus.  It is 100% waterproof.  The backing is cork so, if there are ever any moisture issues, it unclicks, dries, and reinstalls.  The wear layer is 20mil and comes with a lifetime warranty.  Installation was as easy as any other drop and click type laminate flooring.  I don't know the exact price I paid for it as it was consolidated in with all the flooring in the home we just built and a builder discount was applied.  

I'm convinced that for any of these products, I will never go to a box store again.  This includes plumbing fixtures as well ... a huge difference between what come off the big box store shelf and what you order from a plumbing supplier (same brands).
Consumers Reports reviewed flooring in this magazine (see it at Barnes & Noble while having a cup of coffee).

[Image: 2940149154401_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Cooler, is that the current issue? I can't see the date.
Ray