tile floor in a small bathroom. Will large tiles look funny?
I'm trying to picture it.  I was in a friend's powder room, and it has the same 8x24 tile as the rest of the downstairs.  Didn't look funny to me.  Our master bath is about 18 square feet of floor.  I was thinking of getting some 12" x 24" tiles for it.  Now someone told me that looks funny.  I'm trying to visualize it, but failing.

on edit: the internet tells me that large format tiles in a small bathroom is a good idea because there are fewer grout lines. Huh
I don't think it would look funny.  on the contrary, it would visually expand the space.  Why don't you go to one of the big box stores and buy 8 or so in-stock tiles and dry lay as many as you can, without cutting, in the bathroom.  That will give you an idea of how it will look, and then you can return the tiles to the store (or keep them if they happen to be what you want).
Bob
I have a small bathroom shower that I tiled with slate. 2" square tiles on the floor and 12" tiles on the wall half way up. Then white subway tiles the rest of the way up to the ceiling. Then white 2" tiles on ceiling. 3/8" glass shower door. Everyone that has seen it thinks it makes the room look larger. The rest of the bathroom is 12" slate on the floor and painted drywall for the walls.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
heres the floor of my nieces i did a few months ago with 6 by 24's. butted the tiles up to each other for small grout lines. visually it made a huge difference over what was in there.

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-18-2018, 06:28 PM)tomsteve Wrote: heres the floor of my nieces i did a few months ago with 6 by 24's. butted the tiles up to each other for small grout lines. visually it made a huge difference over what was in there.

Those original tiles look cool!
(07-18-2018, 04:31 PM)EricU Wrote: I'm trying to picture it.  I was in a friend's powder room, and it has the same 8x24 tile as the rest of the downstairs.  Didn't look funny to me.  Our master bath is about 18 square feet of floor.  I was thinking of getting some 12" x 24" tiles for it.  Now someone told me that looks funny.  I'm trying to visualize it, but failing.

on edit: the internet tells me that large format tiles in a small bathroom is a good idea because there are fewer grout lines.  Huh

Got Sketchup?  Should be a pretty quick layout and you can get an idea of how it would look in your space...
(07-18-2018, 04:31 PM)EricU Wrote: I'm trying to picture it.  I was in a friend's powder room, and it has the same 8x24 tile as the rest of the downstairs.  Didn't look funny to me.  Our master bath is about 18 square feet of floor.  I was thinking of getting some 12" x 24" tiles for it.  Now someone told me that looks funny.  I'm trying to visualize it, but failing.

on edit: the internet tells me that large format tiles in a small bathroom is a good idea because there are fewer grout lines.  Huh
I was in the business for quite a  while.  I would recommend 12 x 12 tile.   Non-slip or pebble finish.  they are easier to get flat (no lippage).
Non Carborundum Illigitimus
We had some tile left over from the upstairs bath and used it in the small downstairs bath. 12x24...  I'm no interior decorator. She says "put this there" and I obey. I think it looks fine. I was a little over a tile short so there's bare cement board under the sink. Whoever moves that vanity will figure it out.

[Image: n26TBow.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(07-18-2018, 06:48 PM)Woodworm! Wrote: Those original tiles look cool!

i thought they looked groovy.
Big Grin
I've mentioned this in another thread.  If you have a shower or tub and the floor can get wet, then small tiles with their many  grout lines offer up much better traction for bare feet on wet tile.  

Some tiles have a textured surface, and if you are going for large tiles, that would be the minimum that I would consider.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.