Help me choose a Table Saw
LIL...I've been using the older version of this for about 7 years now in my one car garage/shop.  It's always done what I've asked of it without complaint...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13-Am.../202500206
Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I'm still looking and since my timetable isn't fixed, I don't need to buy a saw tomorrow.

Think I'll pass on the older Unisaws and Powermatics. They mostly seem to be in poor shape and don't have any of the safety features that are important to me.  Good tip about the induction motors' I'll keep that in mind.

Right now a Grizzly G0771Z looks attractive. It's a bit more than I'd like to spend, but I was saving some $$ for an upgraded fence and some other accessories. The advantage is that it's a new saw and it includes a riving knife as well as the blade protectors. Anybody have any opinions on this? Some reviews I've read were pretty positive.

It's made the short list, anyway - I'll keep looking for a good condition used saw as well.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
(07-20-2018, 12:34 PM)5thumbs Wrote: Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I'm still looking and since my timetable isn't fixed, I don't need to buy a saw tomorrow.

Think I'll pass on the older Unisaws and Powermatics. They mostly seem to be in poor shape and don't have any of the safety features that are important to me.  Good tip about the induction motors' I'll keep that in mind.

Right now a Grizzly G0771Z looks attractive. It's a bit more than I'd like to spend, but I was saving some $$ for an upgraded fence and some other accessories. The advantage is that it's a new saw and it includes a riving knife as well as the blade protectors. Anybody have any opinions on this? Some reviews I've read were pretty positive.

It's made the short list, anyway - I'll keep looking for a good condition used saw as well.

First things that popped out to me on that saw

1. Lack of Biesmeyer clone fence - that fence on it is lightweight and imo junky on the one I saw at the showroom
2. Lack of magnetic controls/contactor, those latching ones will not shut off if you loose power.
3. Dust port on the right hand side is annoying, especially if you want an extension table and shelf fopr a cabinet to the right of your saw.
4. Table mounted trunnions and not cabinet mounted trunnions. Makes it more annoying to align miterslot to blade.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Jim

There is ad in S&S for two table saws for sale.  You could get both and then sell the other one.

He wants $800 for both of them.

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7341047
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(07-20-2018, 01:28 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Jim

There is ad in S&S for two table saws for sale.  You could get both and then sell the other one.

He wants $800 for both of them.

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7341047
Thanks, Arlin - I saw that (cheap pun!) but Michigan is a bit far for my little truck to haul!
Jim

(07-20-2018, 01:21 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: First things that popped out to me on that saw

1. Lack of Biesmeyer clone fence - that fence on it is lightweight and imo junky on the one I saw at the showroom
2. Lack of magnetic controls/contactor, those latching ones will not shut off if you loose power.
3. Dust port on the right hand side is annoying, especially if you want an extension table and shelf fopr a cabinet to the right of your saw.
4. Table mounted trunnions and not cabinet mounted trunnions. Makes it more annoying to align miterslot to blade.
Good information - thanks a bunch. I wasn't too worried about the fence, I planned on replacing it anyway. The table mounted trunnions are a bigger concern - no way to change those.
Jim

These make it easier
I don't have them on my saw .

I have a Jet hybrid. Have not had a need to adjust yet 8 years . That Grizz would probably serve you well . Still think you could do better in the used market .
Post your general location . The google foo is strong here ( bunch of old farts with nothing better to do
Uhoh  ).

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(07-21-2018, 08:15 AM)fishhh4 Wrote: These make it easier

I have a Jet hybrid. Have not had a need to adjust yet 8 years . That Grizz would probably serve you well . Still think you could do better in the used market .
Post your general location . The google foo is strong here ( bunch of old farts with nothing better to do
Uhoh  ).

Sure - I'm in Northern DE - about 45 min south of Phila and 50 min northeast of Baltimore.  Am willing to travel for a good deal. Still looking at used, so all options are on the table. (another bad pun)
Jim

(07-21-2018, 08:15 AM)fishhh4 Wrote: These make it easier

Uhoh  ).

Hay hay - I fart but not old yet. 
Laugh
Laugh   Or as my granddaughers say I toot. 
Yes
Winkgrin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
If Janus ain't beat ya to it

offer 350 good saw

500 go get it NOW...But offer 450

100 dollars belt drive

register here for e-mail alerts
I have seen saws go for next to nothing at Baltimore ...Howard county ... Virginia beach .. hampton... Norfolk

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.