Help me choose a Table Saw
Thanks for the leads.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
uni with router 600

zip code with large work area

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Another vote for a used cabinet saw. The contractors takes up nearly the same room, is typically lower powered, and dust collection on contractors saws is terrible. On all of them, even the SawStop.

I have owned two Delta Unisaws, both bought used. Been very happy with both. The only reason I bought two is because I brought my first on to St. Croix and sold it before I left.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(07-22-2018, 09:11 AM)fishhh4 Wrote: uni with router 600

zip code with large work area

I found the first one as well - it looks interesting. The second one probably won't fit my living room let alone my shop!

So far, I've seen about a hundred Craftsman saws, 2 unis that I think are gold plated (based on the price), a Powermatic that was used to build the Ark, and a few whose owners though that rust enhanced the value!

It been a fun trip so far - that uni with router is the only one that rivals the Grizzly at $900. (Figure adding a Bies fence will add about $250 and I'm not sure I can add a riving knife.) That's a bit out of my price range, but I'm working on the wife to see if I can get some more bucks. (Taking her to see the golden unis was a stroke of genius! Her comment - "I don't see why you just don't buy a new saw if these are that expensive." Gotta love her logic.

Naturally, I told her that I'm just trying to find the best deal on my "forever saw".
Jim

Well, I thought I'd close out this thread by letting everyone know my choice. After considering the great advice and looking at some of the saws suggested by the experts on here, I just placed an order for a Grizzly G0771Z Hybrid saw.  It's a big step up from the Ryobi I had.

I chose this saw for several reasons:

a. It has all the safety features I wanted - riving knife, blade guard, etc. Of importance is the key lockout for the On/Off switch. My older grandchildren occasionally "help" me in the shop and I want to be sure they can't inadvertently activate the saw. With the lockout key in my pocket, I can control that. (Most of the other stationary power tolls have a similar safeguard.)

b. It's a new saw  which means that once I have it set up, it should stay that way. I 'll also be able to track usage, lubrications, etc. as needed. (Yeah, I know, anal - but that's how I was brung up.)

c. Most importantly, my wife looked at the various used saw options and said: "For the difference in price, you should go with the new one." (She also kicked in some extra bucks from the household account to bump the budget as needed.) Gotta love that woman!

So, thanks for all the help and suggestions; you gave me a lot to consider and made me think carefully. I'm confident I've made the best choice for me. Hopefully, I'll be showing some items I've made using the new saw.
Big Grin
Jim

Cool  ............
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

You will no doubt get years of enjoyment . Congrats . Any wait time , or is it on stock ?

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

They tell me it should ship later today.
Jim

Good choice.  2 hp induction motor, riving knife, small footprint (same as cabinet saw, smaller than a contractor saw), new with warranty.  I think you'll be very happy with it.  
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Jim

Just seen this one is S&S for $300

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7341237
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.