HVAC filters
I second what Thooks said. With the new filters made today, the criteria for return ducts need to be changed and/or enforced.
But some returns can't be changed- especially if the indoor unit sits in a closet in the hallway. New building codes should address this and the closets enlarged on new homes so a return duct can be run overhead.
For the last 30 years, I have always installed the 4" pleated media filters with all new systems. The filters get replaced once a year and I've had no problems with the indoor units getting dirty.

A filter may not look dirty since it is now picking up tiny particles that embed themselves in the pores of the filter. Change them once a month and you should be ok.

I can feel the weight in the 4" filters when they load up- they may gain 30% in weight.
I installed one of those expensive filters(supposed to last 3 months) after having the furnace/A coil replaced last year. Three months ago, it was plugged so badly(after two months), it iced the A coil.

We have three dogs, two of which shed a lot. Turns out that expensive filter is terrible in that situation. The ones with green mesh($1 apiece) are MUCH better. We have air cleaners for the dust.
(07-30-2018, 11:09 AM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: I installed one of those expensive filters(supposed to last 3 months) after having the furnace/A coil replaced last year. Three months ago, it was plugged so badly(after two months), it iced the A coil.

We have three dogs, two of which shed a lot. Turns out that expensive filter is terrible in that situation. The ones with green mesh($1 apiece) are MUCH better. We have air cleaners for the dust.

If you have carpeting in the house and in front of the return air duct, the filter doesn't get as dirty as quickly. Especially with animal hair. But guess what collects the dust and dirt?
Laugh

Animal hair is bad for indoor wet coils- grows a bacteria some like to call algae (I say they call it algae so it doesn't sound so bad) that may look like oysters- slimy gobs of stuff you can never completely get rid of.   With a 4" merv 11 or greater filter, this doesn't seem to happen.

Now if you use the "see through" fiberglass cheap filters, the animal hair can get through that. You might consider adding returns or enlarging them and using the cheap 1" "see through" filters in the return grills as a pre-filter and the 1" less expensive pleated filter at the indoor unit. Depends on your setup.

People hair seems to do the same as animal hair though if it makes you feel better. A good percentage of Beauty Salons and barber shops I have worked on have the same slimy oysters growing on their coils.