Painting cabinet doors
I want to paint some cabinet doors to update the look in a bathroom. The doors are oak with what I think is a poly urethane finish coat. My plan is to lightly sand then apply a coat or two of enamel. I don’t think I’ll need primer. 
I looked through the treads here but didn’t find anything about repainting cabinet doors.
Advice appreciated!
VH07V  
(07-22-2018, 05:19 PM)EightFingers Wrote: I want to paint some cabinet doors to update the look in a bathroom. The doors are oak with what I think is a poly urethane finish coat. My plan is to lightly sand then apply a coat or two of enamel. I don’t think I’ll need primer. 
I looked through the treads here but didn’t find anything about repainting cabinet doors.
Advice appreciated!
After lightly sanding and wiping everything down, I would apply a thinned down coat of a wood filler (try timber mate) to fill the pores of oak.  Then lightly sand again after it drys and wipe down 
I was happy using Sherwin-Williams Premium Wall and Wood Primer.  I used two coats on bare wood, but you may get by with just one coat.
For the top coat, I used their ProClassic alkyd-acrylic.  Layed down nicely with a brush and backrolled with the 4" foam rollers made for cabinets.  After two coats, it looked like it was sprayed.
What you may run into is that some form of furniture polish with silicone was used on those doors in the past. That might lead to a fisheye problem with the new paint. I would clean them as thoroughly as possible with TSP (the real stuff), and rinse completely. Then consider priming them first with a shellac based primer, Zinnser BIN. The shellac will seal the later coats from any remaining silicone. After that, I would follow the advice offered above, although you may not need another coat of a different primer, the BIN smooths out very well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I would brush on a coat of Sealcoat shellac.  It is already diluted and ready to use.  Shellac adheres well to almost all substrates and most finishes adhere well to shellac.

I had good luck applying General Finishes pseudo "milk paints".  They brush on with a foam brush and dry without any blemishes at all.  I then top coat with acrylic clear.  

When I used black I had to use gloss clear, as the matte finish made the black look gray.

I tried Sherwin Williams best acrylic paint  as a comparison.  Their color matching system matched the color perfectly.  But no matter how I tried I never could apply as even a finish with the S-W paints.  

The GF milk paints, in contrast, looked like a high quality sprayed finish.  Perfect.  No runs, not pits, excellent.  

The clear coat over base color will give a much more durable finish than enamel in my experience.  

Note:  This is not real milk paint.  It simply looks like it.  It is an interior or exterior finish.  There is a limited array of colors.  Matte finish for all colors.  They claim that it does not require a top coat.  I found that it scarred (black finish) and would pick up shiny spots if I did not top coat.

https://generalfinishes.com/wood-finishe...milk-paint
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I second Fred's suggestions.   What you want is a clean and dull surface.   The shellac makes a good barrier coat and will help adhesion.   I like to take the doors and drawer fronts off and do them horizontally.   It helps the flow-out and makes defects easier to see.  It also lets you have better access to the face frame.

Do not use a cheap latex paint.   They are prone to "blocking" -- gluing themselves together.

The last cabinets I did were for my own home.  The DPO (dreaded prior owner) did a terrible job prepping and painting (and used a cheap paint apparently).  From the week we moved in, it started to peel around the pulls and never really got anything more that soft and sticky.

And I seriously doubt that it's polyurethane unless another homeowner or clueless contractor did it.   Factory finishes are almost always some kind of lacquer, with a rare chance at a conversion finish.  Conversion finishes are tough, but not much sticks to them, even itself after a small window of curing.   And they're a bear to strip.

Here's a quick video on the subject https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JNTb4uyGG0    (Now mind you, he started to strip a nightstand and halfway though, he hired me to finish the job and refinish the matching bed)
Thanks for the advice - some things I didn’t think of.
If things don’t work out, my plan B is to build new doors. I know that’s what I’m going to do in the kitchen. I just figured white cabinets would be a better look in the bathrooms than the stained oak.
VH07V