Shed Project: Bracing
Here's a link to the last installment:  Roofing

We talked enough about bracing earlier that I thought it deserved it's own entry.  Buildings are subjected to all kinds of forces when the wind blows and can cause it to rack, or twist, or for the roof to lift off, or for the trusses and gable ends to domino over.  Racking is not much of an issue if plywood or some other sheathing is used to sheath the building, and hurricane clips help keep the roof structure anchored to the walls.  To mitigate twisting and the domino effect on the trusses you need bracing, as some of you rightly pointed out to me.  Some building designs don't require much if any added bracing, hip roofs, for example.  Each section of roof braces the adjacent ones.  But with a simple gable roof some added bracing is needed.   Today, I took care of it by adding two sets of diagonal braces.  One set goes under the bottom chord of the trusses to the midpoints of the walls.  The other and likely more important set goes from the top of the gable ends down across five trusses, crisscrossing along the way.  You can see both sets in these photos.

[Image: lBEoFTI83e-IAPTJhWxxSwcMpa3usvF2nAVu_B0p...35-h626-no]

[Image: MBzHHYGNwOVrKt4Yszojy7ROujBsFDZddFG9uQRD...35-h626-no]

[Image: _-tlWoI5Go7upY2tYO5IianMwBUdjdwJPTPJ-Hnq...35-h626-no]

The braces are double screwed at each point they cross the trusses and also to the walls.  I think it will shrug off most anything short of a tornado.  The commercial sheds I've looked at often address the twisting forces by installing a 3 ft or so deep storage shelf at the top plate at one or both ends.  But I haven't seen any bracing of the gable ends.  Maybe it isn't required, and/or maybe it's not a real problem with the low pitch that most commercial shed roofs have.  

John
Houston, we have pic fail...
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-22-2018, 07:07 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Houston, we have pic fail...

OK, let's try it again.

John
Diagonal through the trusses is fine. If you are going to put in a ceiling, the under chord are not needed. I never used either in my shed, just diagonal wall bracing.
(07-22-2018, 08:40 PM)jteneyck Wrote: OK, let's try it again.

John

Hmm nope. Maybe it me.
Normally here, when there is a pic fail, if I quote someone, the pic will show. But not this time.
Did you use photopuker the first time?
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-22-2018, 09:46 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Hmm nope. Maybe it me.
Normally here, when there is a pic fail, if I quote someone, the pic will show. But not this time.
Did you use photopuker the first time?

Try again.  I'm using the same Google Photos Album I used for all the prior pictures.  Very strange.  I hope you can see them now.  

John
They show for me.

And that is one heavy duty built shed.

"Nothing too strong ever broke." Tom Lipton
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(07-23-2018, 09:51 AM)MarkSingleton Wrote: They show for me.

And that is one heavy duty built shed.

"Nothing too strong ever broke."    Tom Lipton

The originals showed for me but now they don't.   Don't know what is going on.   Roly
(07-23-2018, 09:37 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Try again.  I'm using the same Google Photos Album I used for all the prior pictures.  Very strange.  I hope you can see them now.  

John

No. I see all other pics. Must be something with software here.
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-23-2018, 01:43 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: No. I see all other pics. Must be something with software here.

OK, I tried making them smaller.  Maybe they will show now.  

John