How to protect hand tools from rust
My hand tools are kept on open shelving in a basement shop. I'm fortunate that humidity levels are low and it is a dry shop. I still want to treat my planes and chisels after use before putting them back on the shelves. I don't want to use a product that attracts dust. How have you approached this problem in a basement shop? Thanks.
Boeshield.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001447PEK
You can go down the isle at any store and see dozens of products that claim to be the best, but they all do the same thing- coat the metal to prevent moisture/oxygen from getting to the surface of the tool. If the product evaporates too quickly you have to re-coat more often.
Paste Wax works too.

I use what I have, but I mostly just use cheap non-detergent motor oil thinned a little with mineral spirits or a 2 dollar spray can of that cheap lubricant from the dollar store. You don't need a thick layer, just rub it in well and wipe it off. Since your dry there, just about anything would work. Use a slightly oily rag to wipe tools after you touch them and before putting them away. Even dry surfaces get dusty- so I'm not sure what your expecting.

I'm humid here and have no problems with rust- unless I get careless.
(07-24-2018, 08:49 AM)JSpill Wrote: My hand tools are kept on open shelving in a basement shop. I'm fortunate that humidity levels are low and it is a dry shop. I still want to treat my planes and chisels after use before putting them back on the shelves. I don't want to use a product that attracts dust. How have you approached this problem in a basement shop? Thanks.

Paul Sellers uses a rag in a can oiler both to help keep the toosl from rusting and to help them cut more smoothly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npKo1y2e8RI
Question about "rag in a can", my neighbor was lawn mowing right outside my window so I couldn't hear (now blowing grass also), but how safe is it? I've always heard cautions about spontaneous combustion?
I have used Corrosion-X HD (same can) for over 20 years and no tool that I have wiped down with it has rusted. I spray some on a rag and use the rag to wipe down the tools. When done, I store the rag in a screw top jar to keep the volatiles from escaping. Discovered it while saltwater fishing. If it works on a fishing boat it will work in your basement.

Corrosion-X
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
No issue there: Paul uses 3 in one oil.

Simon
Go to the grocery store and get a big can of Johnson's paste wax. It's been around for 100 years. After you get through working with a tool for the day wipe it down with that, let it dry overnight, then wipe it again. No rust issues, no finishing issues. Easy peezy lemon squeezy

carl
Thank you for responding. I see I have a lot of simple options.
(07-24-2018, 07:59 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Question about "rag in a can", my neighbor was lawn mowing right outside my window so I couldn't hear (now blowing grass also), but how safe is it?  I've always heard cautions about spontaneous combustion?

Spontaneous combustion only happens when an oil cures (oxidizes).  Most oil-based wood finishes are at risk.  As they cure, they heat up.  Not a problem with lubricating oils, like the 3-in-1 Sellers uses, since they either do not cure or their oxidation rate is so slow, there's no significant exothermic reaction to heat up the oil to its flash point.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill