My First Humidor
Ran the box up to a ups store to have it boxed for shipping and sent to FL. 
Eek  Wow... ups for the two pound package with insurance was $62, plus $15 for packaging.  Miss T had a minor cardiac infarction but I told them to "ship it."

On the drive home, the boss commented that it was cheaper to ship the cradle a couple years ago, and it was bigger, heavier, and headed to OK. I reminded her that I had paid just over $100 to pack, insure, and ship that one.  It had arrived undamaged, and in time for Christmas. 
Smirk

With the humidor, Tina suspects they are suspending it inside a large box, in expanding foam.  They don't want to buy it. 
No. Supposed to arrive mid week.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I spent roughly $75 to ship an honor flag case across the state.
Worth every penny!
I expect you feel the same.
Nice box!!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Very nice Jim and worthy of filling with a box of Davidoff's!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-10-2018, 03:20 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Ran the box up to a ups store to have it boxed for shipping and sent to FL. 
Eek  Wow... ups for the two pound package with insurance was $62, plus $15 for packaging.  Miss T had a minor cardiac infarction but I told them to "ship it."

On the drive home, the boss commented that it was cheaper to ship the cradle a couple years ago, and it was bigger, heavier, and headed to OK. I reminded her that I had paid just over $100 to pack, insure, and ship that one.  It had arrived undamaged, and in time for Christmas. 
Smirk

With the humidor, Tina suspects they are suspending it inside a large box, in expanding foam.  They don't want to buy it. 
No. Supposed to arrive mid week.

This is pretty common. If you carry in anything obviously handmade and wooden, it'll get super-protected and cost extra to ship. I learned my lesson with a cutting board like that. Now I wrap it myself with bubble wrap first.

I did actually get a customer that way - the UPS counter guy asked my wife for a cutting board while he was packing up one that was a wedding gift.
When I shipped that half sized knotty pine Heirloom Pendulum Cradle to OK a couple years ago, I insured that for $600.  The owner of the ups shipping franchise actually was emotional at how well it turned out, but cautioned me that if I tried to put in a loss claim I would need to be able to justify the value.

"On a build like this," I told her, "I document every step of the way with photographs so when my granddaughter is old enough she can see the process.  In addition, this build was documented on social media... step by step."

Wink

"Good for you..." she said, "YOU they'd have to pay."
To be honest, I hate to ship items, period. We are driving to OK as soon as I am able. Last years Christmas boxes are waiting for the trip. Neither I, nor the daughter's family wanted to risk shipping them.
Jim in Okie
Turned out great!
(08-13-2018, 09:55 AM)brnhornt Wrote: Turned out great!

Thanks
I hope I don't end up doing another soon. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
Watching the tracking on the humidor's trip to FL.
It hit Charlotte, NC at 5:14 am Saturday morning.... and sat....
And sat....
And sat.

Departure scan showed it finally left at 4:44 am this (Monday) morning... 30 minutes shy of 48 hours.
Guess if I was in any kind of hurry, I should have asked what the next step up the shipping tier was and the increase in the cost. 
Big Grin. Might not have been too bad. 
Raised

I guess when you choose basic ground... they DON'T get in a hurry. 
Smirk
Jim in Okie
Ground shipping doesn't always move on weekends.
(08-13-2018, 01:01 PM)jimmyjam Wrote: Ground shipping doesn't always move on weekends.

That's what the wife said.  Lesson learned.  If I'm going to use straight ground shipping next time... I'll mail on Monday. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie