Painting Problem
I’m using a roller and when paint dries, the wall has a very small “textured” appearance in some places. I’m using a matte paint. Just looks lousy.
Get a quality roller cover with less nap thickness ... 3/8 or 1/4 . Put some Flotrol in your paint . Did you sand the wall ? Could be old texture telegraphing through .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

The area might need to be primered first. If so, I've found shellac based BIN is the best primer to cover already finished surfaces. And, the roller info is good---but use 1" diameter rollers instead of the larger diameter.
(07-25-2018, 08:11 AM)Gibbcutter Wrote: I’m using a roller and when paint dries, the wall has a very small “textured” appearance in some places.  I’m using a matte paint. Just looks lousy.

Use enough paint on the roller.  If it starts to run out of paint and you roll a section, there isn't enough paint being applied to the wall to flow together and you get "texture".
“Poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten”
(07-25-2018, 08:11 AM)Gibbcutter Wrote: I’m using a roller and when paint dries, the wall has a very small “textured” appearance in some places.  I’m using a matte paint. Just looks lousy.

What paint are you using? Brand, product, sheen?
What was the surface you painted? Is it new work? Previously coated?
Was there a primer applied to the surface? 
What is the spread rate per gallon you achieved?
How many coats were applied?
Was the first coat light or heavily applied?
Is the problem area over a patch?
Is this a new problem or did it already exist prior to painting?

Adding Floetrol willy-nilly to some paints can give you another undesirable problem.

Could be anything?
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(07-25-2018, 09:48 AM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: The area might need to be primered first. If so, I've found shellac based BIN is the best primer to cover already finished surfaces. And, the roller info is good---but use 1" diameter rollers instead of the larger diameter.

I use the 1" diameter for small projects. The foam rolls give a very smooth finish.  

I don't understand the rationale for using 1" rolls for walls however.  They do make 9" rollers with a foam cover and that will give an equally smooth finish.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Wooster-9-in-St...er/3200945
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Never liked foam rollers.

The one inch rollers are beveled on each end, very little roller lines. Also less messy, since you can easily get too much paint on a larger roller.
(07-26-2018, 11:32 AM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Never liked foam rollers.

The one inch rollers are beveled on each end, very little roller lines. Also less messy, since you can easily get too much paint on a larger roller.

I used the 4" wide rollers for pre-finishing shiplap before applying it to the wall.  But to paint an entire wall that would take far too long.

You can get 1/8" nap x 9" roller covers.  That would offer the best of both.

https://www.amazon.com/Corona-Brushes-Gl...nap+roller
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
To each their own. People shopld do what they like.

I had friends help paint our current house before we moved in. Had them use the 1" rollers and the walls look great----well, except where the friends painted over crappy drywall patches without saying anything.

When we had volunteers painting HfH homes and switched to the 1" rollers, the painting actually went faster. Less mess and cleanup.

I don't tape off trim either.
Big Grin