kerdi and tile on outside of fiberglass shower?
It would be really nice to have kerdi around the perimeter of my bathroom project.  I'm leaving the fiberglass shower because it wouldn't pass management criteria for project completion.  I see on the interwebs that some adventurous people actually tile their fiberglass showers, which seems stupid to me.  But having a line of tiles on the outside of the shower curb to cover the kerdi seems like it might work.

The other thing I have thought about doing is just going up the outside of the curb enough that the kerdi will be at the level of the floor tile.  This would be better than a bead of caulk, but not much.
Are waterproofing the floor or just the seam at the curb? You could run Kerdi Band (5" wide) and use Kerdi Fix to bond it to the curb and thinset to bond it to the concrete/plywood. If you're not waterproofing the floor I'm not sure what advantage just doing the seam accomplishes. Water would just be displaced further away from the curb.
I want to waterproof the perimeter of the bathroom with kerdi band.  Not waterproofing at the curb seems to at least partially defeat the purpose of waterproofing at the wall/floor junction.
(07-25-2018, 01:47 PM)EricU Wrote: I want to waterproof the perimeter of the bathroom with kerdi band.  Not waterproofing at the curb seems to at least partially defeat the purpose of waterproofing at the wall/floor junction.

What is the purpose of waterproofing the wall floor junction ? is the floor concrete ? Roly
It can be done with Kerdi Fix and thinset. I guess my point is that the tile, fiberglass and Kerdi are waterproof. Grout and thinset aren't. Kerdi Band will move the water from the curb a few inches onto the floor. No big deal if it's concrete, but if it is plywood....

Considered putting down Ditra on the floor? Combined with the Kerdi Band that would keep water off the plywood floor (if that's what you have). Ditra also decouples the tile from the substrate so movement won't affect the tiles/grout. But that's another story....
I'm using ditra on the floor over cement board bedded in thinset over plywood.  Not too worried about water in the center of the floor, we don't flood it very often.  But from the condition of the previous floor, we do get water around the edges occasionally.
Sounds great. Kerdi Fix bonds anything Schluter to anything else.
(07-25-2018, 02:59 PM)EricU Wrote: I'm using ditra on the floor over cement board bedded in thinset over plywood.  Not too worried about water in the center of the floor, we don't flood it very often.  But from the condition of the previous floor, we do get water around the edges occasionally.

Now it makes sense.  Roly
now if I could only get a quality unmodified thinset locally.  Lowes has some $7 stuff, but I'm afraid to use something that cheap.  Apparently modified takes too long to dry between tile and ditra.
(07-25-2018, 04:37 PM)EricU Wrote: now if I could only get a quality unmodified thinset locally.  Lowes has some $7 stuff, but I'm afraid to use something that cheap.  Apparently modified takes too long to dry between tile and ditra.

Try here:

Jr's Quality Tile & Hardwood

If they don't have it in stock they can order it in in just a couple of days.

down the road just past the Harley dealership.