Thing I have noticed about the tariffs on tools....
We all saw the heads up from Papa Grizz last month, and many of the stationary tool manufactures have followed suit raising their prices 5% for Taiwanese products and 25% for China mainland made products.

I just received the latest Harbor Freight coupon book and from last month, not one thing has increased that I can find.  

Now I understand not "everything" is being hit this go around, but you would think their larger items like stationary woodworking items, compressors, etc would be hit. I wonder what the deal is. Is their profit margin high enough that they will just absorb the hit for the short term? 

Makes a guy step back and think.

Frankly, the whole tariff increase isn't stopping me from getting what I planned on. Just pulled the trigger on a Jet edge sander on the 10% sale that I have been planning on since last fall. A number of factors have delayed the purchase till now and an extra $50 isn't even a consideration to me.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Did your book say "Final Coupon Book." Maybe they are raising their prices by 20%, by eliminating the coupon.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
When I asked this question about the recent Jet sale, I was informed by the local rep for Jet/Powermatic that the only woodworking items affected by the tariffs were the Jet jointer/planer combo machines. No other Jet or powermatic machines were being directly affected by tariffs. Mostly because they were either manufactured in Taiwan, or because of classification specifics that I didn’t understand. He mentioned a recent price increase, but said it had been planned prior to the tariffs and was not related. At least that’s how I understood it.
(07-25-2018, 06:43 PM)loosetoe Wrote: When I asked this question about the recent Jet sale, I was informed by the local rep for Jet/Powermatic that the only woodworking items affected by the tariffs were the Jet jointer/planer combo machines.  No other Jet or powermatic machines were being directly affected by tariffs.  Mostly because they were either manufactured in Taiwan, or because of classification specifics that I didn’t understand. He mentioned a recent price increase, but said it had been planned prior to the tariffs and was not related. At least that’s how I understood it.

Thats kinda the point I was making. I wonder if companies would take the opportunity to raise prices under the premise of "tariffs" and I wont get political but they can blame a certain someone. The tariffs were announced months prior so its a good opportunity.

It will be interesting to see if when they are rolled back, if the price increases go away. 

Like I said, makes a guy think. Lots of shenanigans in this world right now.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Most likely what we might see is:

Items in stock or those that have arrived in customs before the activation date of the tariffs will most likely be at the on-going prices.
Items from China arriving after the Tariff dates will probably show the 25% increases.
(07-26-2018, 09:15 AM)opticsguy Wrote: Most likely what we might see is:

Items in stock or those that have arrived in customs before the activation date of the tariffs will most likely be at the on-going prices.
Items from China arriving after the Tariff dates will probably show the 25% increases.

...yes, this...confirmed several tool dealers when I was pricing a new tool.  Its too soon to see how this impacts all the dealers as a whole because of different stock levels of various tools on hand in the US prior to the tariff going in effect.
The tariffs won't last that long. Just wait till it's over.
(07-26-2018, 08:23 PM)daddo Wrote:  Just wait till it's over.

That's my plan.....  I just hope all does not go to h*ll in a handbasket while we wait.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(07-25-2018, 05:37 PM)packerguy® Wrote: We all saw the heads up from Papa Grizz last month, and many of the stationary tool manufactures have followed suit raising their prices 5% for Taiwanese products and 25% for China mainland made products.

Perhaps we will see adjustment relief for machinery dealers that have been buying machinery manufactured in China.
(07-26-2018, 08:23 PM)daddo Wrote: The tariffs won't last that long. Just wait till it's over.

What makes you think this ?

China can afford to ride this, so we're not likely to see change here.

If the current admin. re-up then we're looking at 7 more years of tariffs at minimum.  This assumes the new crowd makes their repeal first priority.  Think how much woodworking equipment costs is gonna be on the top of the to do list ?  

That's a looooong time in my book to wait on a tool .