Thing I have noticed about the tariffs on tools....
Protectionism cannot produce prosperity.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(07-31-2018, 01:55 PM)Papagrizzly Wrote: Not practical and the market could not sustain the 4X price increase.

4x? Even being twice as expensive will see people buying imported goods.

Unless you are in a niche market or unless the prices are competitive, made in USA alone is no longer a selling point. I still hear people say they would be willing to pay more for this or that to be made in US, but "more" is pretty elusive for a manufacturer. Here is what is happening: Amazon is growing, and so are brick-and-mortar stores like Dollar General, Dollar Tree, etc. which compete on prices, not on origin.

Simon
(07-31-2018, 01:55 PM)Papagrizzly Wrote: Not practical and the market could not sustain the 4X price increase.

It sounds like you would have to compete in a different market to sell equipment here. I sell millwork at ten times the price of Home Depot, but I market to people who can't find what they need there.

I would like to be able to buy a 12" table saw, or a 1 1/4" spindle shaper, both with a cast iron base and a simple fence, from you.
(07-31-2018, 06:23 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: Protectionism cannot produce prosperity.

I nominate Mark for Commerce Secretary......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-01-2018, 07:35 AM)Admiral Wrote: I nominate Mark for Commerce Secretary......

Protective tariffs only protect consumers from low prices. Our President is like all the politicians of history. They tell you that the other people are winning or are making money off of us. Yet, the only crime China is guilty of is offering to voluntarily sell us goods at a price cheaper than we can make them ourselves. 

Then they take American $$ for those goods. There is only one country where those dollars mean anything. In the end, it all comes back to the purchasing country. 

Just count the number of leaders that tell you about a problem where they themselves are not the offered solution.

Also, no matter the country of origin. 8" jointers are better. 
Smirk
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
(08-01-2018, 02:20 PM)Mandrake Wrote: Protective tariffs only protect consumers from low prices. Our President is like all the politicians of history. They tell you that the other people are winning or are making money off of us. Yet, the only crime China is guilty of is offering to voluntarily sell us goods at a price cheaper than we can make them ourselves. 

Then they take American $$ for those goods. There is only one country where those dollars mean anything. In the end, it all comes back to the purchasing country. 

Just count the number of leaders that tell you about a problem where they themselves are not the offered solution.

Also, no matter the country of origin. 8" jointers are better. 
Smirk

Me and the vets would love a 12" but that is way way out of my pay grade no matter who sells it.

Also it looks like the EU has given up Tariffs on us so that is good.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(07-31-2018, 12:34 PM)Papagrizzly Wrote: Actually not! Our presence in Taiwan is actually larger in Woodworking machinery than in China. Our office of engineers and inspectors in Taiwan is twice the size of that in China. There are many items that are affected, but many more remain unaffected. The funny thing is that even with the tariffs on some affected items like Planers and Jointers, we still have good sales and have not caught up with back orders. We also never ceased buying planers and jointers from Taiwan and those are making a comeback in a big way now.

Shiraz,

I actually just noticed you are re-introducing the Taiwain made G01021 planers, which is nice :
Smile ....any thoughts on bringing the G0490/X jointer to a Taiwain factory to offset the demand and tariffs?  Customer service told me the wait is still in the 6 month range
Sad.  The G0495 is an option but still much more money for my budget.
(08-03-2018, 10:14 AM)mt4ensics Wrote: Shiraz,

I actually just noticed you are re-introducing the Taiwain made G01021 planers, which is nice :
Smile ....any thoughts on bringing the G0490/X jointer to a Taiwain factory to offset the demand and tariffs?  Customer service told me the wait is still in the 6 month range
Sad.  The G0495 is an option but still much more money for my budget.

Coming - being made as we speak. Will be loaded onto site as soon as photos of actual product available. Same ISO 9001 factory that has been making our stuff for more than 35 years.
I remember mentioning the sad state of manufacturing after what Bush/Clinton/Bush did. I got rebuked , I was told it was happening long before them. What I'm saying is the horse has already left the barn, died of old age and got turned into dog food. And got processed.

All those old plants have been shut down for a long time now.
A man of foolish pursuits
(08-06-2018, 01:54 PM)Papagrizzly Wrote: Coming - being made as we speak. Will be loaded onto site as soon as photos of actual product available. Same ISO 9001 factory that has been making our stuff for more than 35 years.

Thats great to hear!  Will they be the same design as the G0490 jointers or a different unit altogether?