Thing I have noticed about the tariffs on tools....
(08-06-2018, 01:54 PM)Papagrizzly Wrote: Coming - being made as we speak. Will be loaded onto site as soon as photos of actual product available. Same ISO 9001 factory that has been making our stuff for more than 35 years.

FWIW, I've been exceedingly happy with my G1021X2.  Has been problem-free from day 1.   
Cool
[Image: IMG_2513.jpg]
(08-06-2018, 01:54 PM)Papagrizzly Wrote: Coming - being made as we speak. Will be loaded onto site as soon as photos of actual product available. Same ISO 9001 factory that has been making our stuff for more than 35 years.

GeeTech?
Bob
(08-14-2018, 11:20 PM)BobW Wrote: GeeTech?

Yes
Smile
(08-15-2018, 11:29 AM)Papagrizzly Wrote: Yes
Smile

Will these jointers from Taiwain be parallelogram/identical to the G0490 series?
(08-06-2018, 06:33 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: I remember mentioning the sad state of manufacturing after what Bush/Clinton/Bush did. I got rebuked , I was told it was happening long before them. What I'm saying is the horse has already left the barn, died of old age and got turned into dog food. And got processed.

All those old plants have been shut down for a long time now.

If there is a rebirth of woodworking machinery manufacturing in the U.S. I'll bet it won't be using WWII era plants and procedures making post WWII machinery designs. Could a U.S. manufacturer make it go producing Euro quality machines and charging Euro prices? I have no idea.
Izzat yer shop?!?  Looks like my living room!  
Laugh

Cool

(08-14-2018, 02:37 AM)Cian Wrote: [Image: IMG_2513.jpg]

- djb
Real trucks don't have spark plugs.

(08-20-2018, 08:19 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: If there is a rebirth of woodworking machinery manufacturing in the U.S. I'll bet it won't be using WWII era plants and procedures making post WWII machinery designs. Could a U.S. manufacturer make it go producing Euro quality machines and charging Euro prices? I have no idea.

If there is a will there is a way. I am certain you can make machines at least as good as European machines.
Though I doubt that American investors who for a full two generations have been weaned from anything remotely related to manufacturing are able to wrap their head around the idea that a batch of machines can actually be made
Uhoh
Uhoh
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Indeed. If America wants to bring back the production of TVs, woodworking machines, dryers and washers, and so on, it can. The billion dollar question is unless it is subsidized, will the consumers be willing to pay the higher prices? Investors look for returns and if the path to profits is clear, they will take the risks. So far, I have not seen any signs that people want a more expensive shopping alternative to Walmart.

Simon
(08-21-2018, 10:09 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Indeed. If America wants to bring back the production of TVs, woodworking machines, dryers and washers, and so on, it can. The billion dollar question is unless it is subsidized, will the consumers be willing to pay the higher prices? Investors look for returns and if the path to profits is clear, they will take the risks. So far, I have not seen any signs that people want a more expensive shopping alternative to Walmart.

Simon

True.  I've been involved in M&A work and venture capital investing in the tech world, and beancounters produce Excel spreadsheet modeling which determines literally everything in terms of investment decisions, and unless something is quite unique (here, not), is accretive to earnings in the short run (1-2 years), will produce a return on investment in the double digits and the enterprise can support sales growth, nobody is going there.  This stuff is not cutting edge, it is the dull, worn edge of manufacturing, and unless its sexy, or you have someone looking long term, forget the concept, no bank or hedge fund will loan the money.  Consider, Saw Stop, sort of sexy, but unless I'm mistaken, they are built overseas as well.  Plus, these tariffs are not forever and can turn on a dime.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-21-2018, 11:15 AM)Admiral Wrote:   Consider, Saw Stop, sort of sexy, but unless I'm mistaken, they are built overseas as well.  Plus, these tariffs are not forever and can turn on a dime.....

SS is made in Taiwan.  The only table saw still made in the US is the Northfield #4.