Shed Project: House Wrap and Windows
(07-28-2018, 03:42 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: House wrap directions

Oh, and staples leak. We all use cap nails.

So the company that makes house wrap knows more about installing windows than the company who makes windows.  Not what I would have guessed.  

Any penetration can leak.  Staples is one of the accepted methods of attaching vinyl siding.  What's the difference?  The other being nails.  All are penetrations through the house wrap.  

John
John. Re-read. I haven't said a thing about windows.  
Wink
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-28-2018, 05:01 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: John. Re-read. I haven't said a thing about windows.  
Wink

Seems I misinterpreted what you meant.  My apologies.  As far as installing house wrap goes, the website of the manufacturer of the one I bought said to use roofing nails and to make sure they went into the studs.  Seriously?  

John
(07-28-2018, 08:08 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Seems I misinterpreted what you meant.  My apologies.  As far as installing house wrap goes, the website of the manufacturer of the one I bought said to use roofing nails and to make sure they went into the studs.  Seriously?  

John

No problem.
Roofing nails. Never seen that one. May make sense though, into the studs wouldn't bounce as bad, would be a tighter hold probably.

Yes now on the staples, they leak. Think about it. No seal is under the staple. They put 2 holes in the wrap.

Cap nails seal the hole that the nail creates. The plastic cap is the seal.

You mentioned vinyl siding. A staple has the vinyl under it, thus sealing the holes.

Later...
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-28-2018, 08:18 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: No problem.
Roofing nails. Never seen that one. May make sense though, into the studs wouldn't bounce as bad, would be a tighter hold probably.

Yes now on the staples, they leak. Think about it. No seal is under the staple. They put 2 holes in the wrap.

Cap nails seal the hole that the nail creates. The plastic cap is the seal.

You mentioned vinyl siding. A staple has the vinyl under it, thus sealing the holes.

Later...

With siding, the staple is supposed to be placed vertically over the expansion slot lug.  Neither hole would be covered by the siding.  Siding is supposed to be free to slide left/right, so no matter how the staple is installed the siding wouldn't seal the holes.  And definitely not with nails, which I plan to use.  The point is to minimize the amount of water getting behind the siding.  Since my shed won't be finished on the inside like a house is, I'll be able to see if any water actually finds it's way from all those staple holes through the house wrap to the inside.  

John
I meant *if* there is vinyl under the staple, the staple is sealed.

We normally used a air roofing nailer. We quit installing vinyl, due to the sun making it brittle, and the color fading out in about ten years.
We use the pressed chipboard siding now. Paint has a 35 year warranty. Paint is baked after its applied.
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I’ve been learning quite a bit from these threads.

I’ve seen some of the builders around here relying on the house wrap and not using any flashing at all.

Builders around here used tar paper and staples before modern house wraps. Supposedly very good at shedding water.

Perhaps better than the newer wraps.
We finished up a siding job that had shake shingles with  tar paper underneath.
The 1' pine under the tar paper (what we could see) was still in excellent shape, and the tar paper was also. We replaced what we tore when removing the shake shingles, and put the new siding on the old paper.
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-29-2018, 12:28 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: We finished up a siding job that had shake shingles with  tar paper underneath.
The 1' pine under the tar paper (what we could see) was still in excellent shape, and the tar paper was also. We replaced what we tore when removing the shake shingles, and put the new siding on the old paper.

Question:  I'm not smart on house wrap; is the house wrap meant to seal out water, or is it just a high tech way to prevent air infiltration, i.e., a tight house from that perspective.  I used to work in a factory that produced tar paper (Johns Manville) and that stuff really repelled water, and to echo your experience, when covered, did not degrade nor lose its water repellent quality.  My thought would  be to use tar paper for a shed where I was not going to heat it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
We have an 8’ X 16’ shed I built about 20 years ago.
It’s wrapped in 30# felt and is unconditioned space.
It stays completely dry and is bearable even in our worst heat and humidity.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.