Mini belt sander
I looked at Harbor Freight too as an option. It is likely I will only use that sander for this one job . I will probably head over to my go to took store and see the Makita version and then head over to Harbor Freight and compare. I don't have a problem spending more money if I can find more than a single project where it will help.

Thanks everyone.
(08-01-2018, 01:02 PM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: I looked at Harbor Freight too as an option.  It is likely I will only use that sander for this one job .  I will probably head over to my go to took store and see the Makita version and then head over to Harbor Freight and compare.  I don't have a problem spending more money if I can find more than a single project where it will help.

Thanks everyone.

I bought the Porter Cable thinking the same thing. Found out how wrong I was! Use that little sander far more than I ever thought I would.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
A couple of grades of large flat files would do that job about as fast as any powered sander is going to.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Tom,
Have you tried a pressure washer ? I have a set of teak chairs that are now 15 years old and still look good. Every two years I power wash them, not too high pressure cleans them up good , does raise the grain. I then sand them lightly.
This job could easily be done using thin sanding blocks made of plywood scrap with PSA sanding disc attached. But the multi-tool would be much faster and easier on the hands.
Wood is good. 
Another option I’ve used is sold at marine supply stores. There are two part teak cleaners for boats that are designed for this task. I restored a 1976 boat with a lot of teak pieces. The teak looked awful and neglected. The cleaning process brought back the original color. Some light hand sanding was necessary only on the most weathered pieces, before reapplying some teak oil.

Semco makes a highly rated heavy duty 2 part teak cleaner. West Marine carries it, but other retailers have it also. One part cleaners require much more scrubbing and damages wood fibers.
John
There was some type of varnish top coat on the bench. I figured a sander would work better but I guess it doesn't hurt to try pressure washing.
(08-04-2018, 08:50 AM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: There was some type of varnish top coat on the bench. I figured a sander would work better but I guess it doesn't hurt to try pressure washing.

pressure washing is where I'd start too
Yes  low pressure like above post said ,where goggles , bad stuff in bird poo
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(07-30-2018, 09:46 PM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: Here is a picture.  Spaces are about 5/8 inch.  It cleans up nice and I think is worth saving.  Joints are still solid and true.

Pressure wash, sand, oil and then buy cushions
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(07-31-2018, 11:06 AM)giradman Wrote: Thanks of the pic - nice looking bench that should be resurrected!
Smile

I'd probably pull out my Fein MM w/ the triangular pads - there are plenty of these types of tools in all price ranges depending on your budget; also, keep in mind if you're a DIY around the house, these tools have many different functions.  Another consideration is a small diameter spindle sander attached to a drill - the 1/2" size might hit both slats at the same time?  Good luck and please re-post after the bench has been rejuvenated - Dave
That would be my first choice.
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset