New line of bench planes
Rocker crowing about a new line of bench and specialty planes by "Bench Dog". "Soles guaranteed to be flat"; thick irons, comes with plane sock.
Can't find a website for maker...so maybe a new Chinese import?

Wonder how the tariffs would affect these, if foreign made.
So glad many of the Veritas plane designs are patented.

They must have done a user study before setting up the assembly lines...so looks like decline interest in woodworking craft is a artifact of analysis

http://www.rockler.com/hand-tools/planes
That guy in the photo props must be suffering.
So they decided to compete in the Bailey plane market, rather than the Bedrock end.  Interesting.  For a few dollars more, you can get the Woodcraft Bedrock-based design.

Sounds like you should watch for the clearance sales.
(08-02-2018, 10:37 AM)Winterwood Wrote: Rocker crowing about a new line of bench and specialty planes by "Bench Dog". "Soles guaranteed to be flat"; thick irons, comes with plane sock.

They must have done a user study before setting up the assembly lines...so looks like decline interest in woodworking craft is a artifact of analysis

Rolleyes Oh, joy - another line of bench planes. I'll bet the other makers out there are overjoyed.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
(08-02-2018, 11:45 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: So they decided to compete in the Bailey plane market, rather than the Bedrock end.  Interesting.  For a few dollars more, you can get the Woodcraft Bedrock-based design.

Sounds like you should watch for the clearance sales.

Hard to tell what it is, no detailed pictures, no description worth a hoot.  They better up their marketing game if they expect to sell a semi-premium plane.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Just another line of planes to frustrate the hell out of people and make them give up on hand tools.  The problem with all planes that aren't LV or LN is consistency.

It's possible to pick up a 100 year old stanley, sharpen and go.  And make beautiful shavings.  It's possible to pick up one of these new chinese planes, sharpen and go, and make beautiful shavings...

However it is equally possible to pick one of these up and it doesn't cut worth a dang... what are you as a new plane owner going to think?  You see other people "review" it and say it works... so now you're going to either think this is how planing is supposed to be and say it's for the birds... or you're gonna blame your skill level and say it's for the birds...

If myself, or any of the other experienced hand tool users on this forum had this chinese plane in our shop, we could almost certainly turn it in to a fine fine plane... It is just not consistently possible for newbies (which is the target market I would think for these)...

bummer.
(08-02-2018, 01:34 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: It's possible to pick up a 100 year old stanley, sharpen and go.  And make beautiful shavings.  It's possible to pick up one of these new chinese planes, sharpen and go, and make beautiful shavings...
If myself, or any of the other experienced hand tool users on this forum had this chinese plane in our shop, we could almost certainly turn it in to a fine fine plane... It is just not consistently possible for newbies (which is the target market I would think for these)...

bummer.

Often, new manufacture has got the basics right, but not the finer points.  As noted, LV and LN get it all right, hence the premium designation.  I have several planes from both companies, and never had to fettle one to get it to perform satisfactorily.

Vintage, well, some do take some fettling (I find many that do not, the prior owner(s) took care of that, likely because they made a living with those planes) and if I must say it myself, I know what I'm doing, and can generally get a vintage plane to work like it should.  While I've not partaken of a Woodriver or other chinese clone, my instinct tells me they need a little bit of extra attention, and I agree they most likely can be turned into fine performers, unless you get a lemon.  The difference is experience, and technique.
(08-02-2018, 03:29 PM)Admiral Wrote: Often, new manufacture has got the basics right, but not the finer points.  As noted, LV and LN get it all right, hence the premium designation.  I have several planes from both companies, and never had to fettle one to get it to perform satisfactorily.

Vintage, well, some do take some fettling (I find many that do not, the prior owner(s) took care of that, likely because they made a living with those planes) and if I must say it myself, I know what I'm doing, and can generally get a vintage plane to work like it should.  While I've not partaken of a Woodriver or other chinese clone, my instinct tells me they need a little bit of extra attention, and I agree they most likely can be turned into fine performers, unless you get a lemon.  The difference is experience, and technique.

Exactly my point.  Vintage stanleys are more "consistent".  They are very serviceable and the gremlins are easy to find if you know where to look because of this...  But even newbies know that vintage planes need tuning.

I am frustrated with new planes advertised to work well, even reviewed by people who say they work well, and then once you get them in the shop.. some do, and some dont.

Anyway, nothing to see here with these planes... my guess is unless they get some youtubers to endorse these, they'll make little splash in the current market.
(08-02-2018, 10:37 AM)Winterwood Wrote: Rocker crowing about a new line of bench and specialty planes by "Bench Dog". "Soles guaranteed to be flat"; thick irons, comes with plane sock.

Looks like AXMINSTER in the UK imports the same planes.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ri...e-ax945302
(08-02-2018, 08:22 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: Looks like AXMINSTER in the UK imports the same planes.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ri...e-ax945302

Yup, standard Bailey pattern design, not Bedrock.  Check out the User Manual link at Axminster....