New line of bench planes
Rockler has been closing out some planes reportedly made in India under the name Bench Dog, now a Rockler brand.  What is different about these?  They looked like knock-offs of knock-offs to me: iron and brass plane-shaped objects.
(08-02-2018, 10:54 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Rockler has been closing out some planes reportedly made in India under the name Bench Dog, now a Rockler brand.  What is different about these?  They looked like knock-offs of knock-offs to me: iron and brass plane-shaped objects.

Yep, just like L-Ns are knock-offs of Stanleys.......
Laugh
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
[quote pid='7650902' dateline='1533234841']

It's possible to pick up a 100 year old stanley, sharpen and go.  [major snippage]

bummer.
[/quote]

My favorite plane is a type 2, patent date 1867, which makes it 150 years old.  The best woodworker I know of has a complete set of type 2’s.
The Bench Dog planes have been in Rockler for some time, displayed in a case with the new Stanley line. Seemed the proximity denoted the targeted audience? Please note my comments are only about the planes marked "Bench Dog" and not marked "Rockler".

The Rockler I visit about once a month or so, is staffed by woodworkers, with the manager pretty much the same as one of us. He never promoted these planes, but he also didn't disparage them, mentioning only made "off shore", old Stanley design and not too bad.

I didn't take one apart, but the external apperance showed a well finished plane. Would it trip my trigger? No, primarily because the price differential was too slim to what you could buy a proven modern design for. Is there a place for these? Only the market will tell.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Well I think they're pretty planes.

carl
(08-03-2018, 06:36 AM)Tony Z Wrote: The Rockler I visit about once a month or so, is staffed by woodworkers, with the manager pretty much the same as one of us.  He never promoted these planes, but he also didn't disparage them, mentioning only made "off shore", old Stanley design and not too bad.

Would that be Vince at the Ross Park mall store?  If so, he's a good guy.  Very knowledgeable about tools and a straight shooter.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

They look nice. The chipbreaker looks pretty much like the Veritas ones, which works just fine once you blunt the leading edge. As long as the plane holds the blade securely, the sole is reasonably flat, and the iron takes a keen edge, there's no reason not to like these planes. I say more power to them.

One thing that does concern me is the weight. I've said this before here, but modern manufacturers tend to over-build their planes in terms of weight. A heavy plane is fine if you're using it just for a few minutes, but even if you're using it to take out planer marks on a few big boards, a heavy plane will tire you out really quickly. I remember the first time I picked up an LN bronze smoother. I just about dropped it, the thing was so heavy compared to the Stanleys I'm used to using. Have you looked at the specs on the Bench-Dog planes? These things are HEAVY.

Just for the sake of comparison, here's a simple weight-chart for the 4 1/2 model in several different brands:

- Stanley WWII-era: 4.6 lbs. (And that's with my aftermarket Veritas iron and chipbreaker, which are heavier than the original stock.)
- Lie-Nielsen: 5.5 lbs.
- WoodRiver V3: 6 lbs.
- Rockler Bench-Dog: 7.1 lbs.

You won't catch me trying to push a 7-pound smoother over white oak or hard maple any time soon.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(08-03-2018, 08:45 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: Would that be Vince at the Ross Park mall store?  If so, he's a good guy.  Very knowledgeable about tools and a straight shooter.

Yes it was-great guy, remembers me and invited me to join their WW'ing group. I explained I live several hours away. There is also another at that store that knows finishing products and methods.

That Rockler has an entire workforce that is knowledgeable. The Woodcraft store (southwest of Pittsburgh a few miles) also has an experienced woodworker, though not quite up to Vince.
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-03-2018, 09:32 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Yes it was-great guy, remembers me and invited me to join their WW'ing group.  I explained I live several hours away.  There is also another at that store that knows finishing products and methods.

That Rockler has an entire workforce that is knowledgeable.  The Woodcraft store (southwest of Pittsburgh a few miles) also has an experienced woodworker, though not quite up to Vince.

Vince is also a member of the Three Rivers Tool Collectors Assoc, so he knows vintage tools as well as new ones.  That's how I know him.   He hosted one of the meetings last year and I got to see his shop.  It was pretty impressive. 

I haven't been in the Rocker store for several years.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(08-03-2018, 01:35 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: Vince is also a member of the Three Rivers Tool Collectors Assoc, so he knows vintage tools as well as new ones.  That's how I know him.   He hosted one of the meetings last year and I got to see his shop.  It was pretty impressive. 

I haven't been in the Rocker store for several years.

Ross Park Mall is one of SWMBO's shopping destinations, so its Home Depot and Rockler for me!
www.metaltech-pm.com