Vacuum Press - Home Built
(08-08-2018, 07:27 AM)mound Wrote: Same story for me 'cept I never moved past the 4'x6' vinyl bag.. Very stiff.. Gonna have to check out a poly bag!
Definitely a fun and useful build, and it just keeps on working..

Wait for Joe to have a sale on the bags, IIRC I got mine for about 1/2 the normal price.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-08-2018, 08:36 AM)shoottmx Wrote: Lookin' good John! Glad you had time to stop by on your way to LN, the router is great, thank you!

To save on bag pump down time I stick my shop vac over the suction port of the bag to pull as much air out of the bag as possible. Then stick the vacuum pump hose on the bag and let pump down. It is amazing how much the shop vac sucks down the bag.

g

Thanks for that tip Gary!

And it was great meeting you and spending some time in your shop!

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(08-08-2018, 08:38 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Wait for Joe to have a sale on the bags, IIRC I got mine for about 1/2 the normal price.

When does Joe run the bag sales typically?

Thanks!
John
(08-08-2018, 10:52 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: When does Joe run the bag sales typically?

Thanks!
John

Boy, I really don't know. I think i got an e mail telling me about it when I bought mine. Maybe someone else  might have an idea when he does those sales.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Just to bring this up again, Joe has a 20% off sale on his poly bags this weekend.
(09-01-2018, 06:05 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Just to bring this up again, Joe has a 20% off sale on his poly bags this weekend.

Fred,

I took advantage of that! 

Thank you!
John
I built the same unit a couple of years ago. I love mine and agree with the others, go for the poly bag.
(09-05-2018, 02:50 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: I built the same unit a couple of years ago. I love mine and agree with the others, go for the poly bag.

Thanks Frank, the poly bag arrived yesterday.   That bag is very well made.

Thanks again to all of you for your input!

John
The only times I used my old vacume pump for clamping, I layed the work on the pool table slate assembly table I had, and taped a piece of clear vinyl with a air nipple on it, and sucked it down.
Nothing fancy, but it worked fine. Used a bolt in valve stem for the hose connection.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Thumbs Up 
Nice job!  I love home-built machines that do the work of high $ machines.  It's a good tool to keep in mind.  Thanks for posting.