new motor time. WOW!
About 20 years ago, I ended up with my Dad's Craftsman 113 table saw (with the original motor) and I've replaced the start cap once since then. The other day it started humming instead of just starting so I went to the motor shop to get another start cap because cleaning the switch didn't help. He came back out without the cap and said the old one was good so I looked deeper and found the windings were badly discolored. New motor time.

That saw has NEVER started this quickly and easily!

On an unrelated note, how can I find the build date from the serial number?
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
I recently gave my 113 table saw to my son in law- years ago I thought the cap was bad, and when I was looking at it I found a build date sticker in there- Mine was 1954. My personal build date is 1955.

(08-04-2018, 09:51 AM)goaliedad Wrote: I recently gave my 113 table saw to my son in law- years ago I thought the cap was bad, and when I was looking at it I found a build date sticker in there- Mine was 1954.  My personal build date is 1955.

My vintage Dewalt RAS has a build date of 1955....  still runs like a top.... can't say the same for me with a build date of 1953, I sort of jog like a top.....  
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-03-2018, 10:06 AM)SceneryMaker Wrote: About 20 years ago, I ended up with my Dad's Craftsman 113 table saw (with the original motor) and I've replaced the start cap once since then. The other day it started humming instead of just starting so I went to the motor shop to get another start cap because cleaning the switch didn't help. He came back out without the cap and said the old one was good so I looked deeper and found the windings were badly discolored. New motor time.

That saw has NEVER started this quickly and easily!

On an unrelated note, how can I find the build date from the serial number?

If you have a good motor service and repair shop nearby, you can probably have the original motor rewound cheaper than you can you an buy a new one.
(08-04-2018, 01:03 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: If you have a good motor service and repair shop nearby, you can probably have the original motor rewound cheaper than you can you an buy a new one.

We have one motor shop in town and they wanted almost $100 more to rewind than to replace. I did ask, though.

I had segments to cut for a new bowl and was not in the mood to go to the big city for competitive quotes.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(08-04-2018, 01:40 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: We have one motor shop in town and they wanted almost $100 more to rewind than to replace.  I did ask, though.

I had segments to cut for a new bowl and was not in the mood to go to the big city for competitive quotes.

Rewinding a small motor is rarely ever cost effective. 

1 1/2 Hp motors can be bought very economically.

I know about sentimentality, but you do realize the saw value probably isn't what a motor will cost, right?
When the motor on my elderly table saw quit I found another saw on craigslist and bought it just for the motor $40. Now I'm thinking of fixing that saw up.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Post your general location, in case a member has a motor to sell.
I know I have about 3-5 motors in my stash.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer