Looking for a medallion for disston
Just throwing it out as  general feeler.  I starting rehabbing a saw and somehow lost the medallion/screw combo.  Anyone have a spares laying around they are willing to part with?
Semper Fi,

Barry
Probably, but I think they have some different sizes depending on the vintage. Do you happen to know which era your saw is?
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
(08-04-2018, 10:34 PM)DaveParkis Wrote: Probably, but I think they have some different sizes depending on the vintage. Do you happen to know which era your saw is?

I'm not really sure, etch isn't visible.  I can take a picture of handle and measure the recess.  Only reason I even know it is a disston is the medallion I lost... darn IT.
Semper Fi,

Barry
Well here it is.  The original broken handle and the new one I made from walnut.  Comparing the whole pattern and layout I don't see anything on the disston institute that matches exactly, but I do remember the saw nut saying disston.  The big on I'm missing is a 13/16th hole, so I'm guess the original was 3/4 and the handle is 1" thick.

[Image: Saw.Handles.jpg]

And the saw plate with no etch visible.  It is filed 7tpi rip and looks like the factory grind.  Really looks like it was bought, shelved, abused, and pass along for years.

[Image: Saw.Plate.jpg]
Semper Fi,

Barry
Might be a No. 16?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(08-05-2018, 11:00 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Might be a No. 16?

I was thinking the same thing, but the wheat carving is missing from the interior cheek side of the handle; it may have been a contract production saw, done for a hardware store/supply house by Disston, and in such cases I've seen many examples of the medallions having a "keystone" logo impression in the center, but warranted superior on the ring (to be honest, I've been fooled by this myself). In such cases, they often left off some of the distinctive features, like carving or other handle flourishes/curvature, just to distinguish it from "the real McCoy."  Heck, any such saws made after then turn of the century was likely made by either Disston, Atkins or Simmons, all quality makers.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Okay, I can see where it being a 16.

So...... Does anyone spare medalion/post they wanna get rid of??  I will gladly pay a fair price.
Semper Fi,

Barry
I found one on Ebay for a fair price so I just ordered that.  I figured it was the sure fire way for the lost one to turn up with .234231 seconds of installing the bought one.

After assembly I will post a pic of finished product.  Need to breath some life back into this place.
Semper Fi,

Barry
Fun project! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop