What happened to Wenzolff and Sons?
(08-07-2018, 11:11 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Do you make panel saws to? I know for sure you make wonderful saws.

We do though it is not my favorite saw to make.
[Image: IMG_0273.JPG]

Our panel and hand saws

Still didn't find a good way to taper grind in smal volumes.
That is one of the very few secrets Mike didn't share.

Take Care! (That's what Mike wrote.)
Pedder
I heard Mike mention at WIA that he tapered his saw plates on a Tormek machine that he had modified in some fashion.  That doesn't help you much because his skills (like yours) simply can't be put into words.  

Those saws pictured are magnificent.
(08-07-2018, 11:56 AM)Pedder Wrote: We do though it is not my favorite saw to make.
[Image: IMG_0273.JPG]

Our panel and hand saws

Still didn't find a good way to taper grind in smal volumes.
That is one of the very few secrets Mike didn't share.

Take Care! (That's what Mike wrote.)
Pedder

Beautiful work, Pedder.
Several comments: I have three od Wenzloff's saws and they are very nice (2 halfbacks, CC & rip and a very custom interpretation of a Disston #16), but there are also other modern makers that make saws equal (I am fortunate enough to afford to indulge mt love of all tools).

The LN tapered, thin plate dovetail saw is one of the best bargains going, as is the Pax line (buy one with the walnut handle and re-shape to your liking-it is finished with an oil finish and on my Pax sash saw, BLO matched perfectly. LV also deserves a mention. The Tools for Working Wood is another excellent DT saw as is the now discontinued Adria (yes, I have each of the above).

What do I use? I haven't even touched on the several decades old Sheffield maker saws I have, that are also excellent, but for my use, #16 and #12 Disston panel saws are just perfect, as is a D8 thumbhole rip (for smaller stock, my Wenzloff half back rip is used). I have many saws, vintage and newer, but will I not use? Maybe the Panther head?

But in the end, all saws need sharpened, or at least regularly touched up, much the same as any edge tool.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I was asking here not long ago about Mike as I also noticed his saws had been removed from the Lee Valley site.

I sent Mike an email, but didn't get a reply, which prompted my previous reply here on Woodnet. I have 2 of Mikes earliest saws. Prior to him even putting a logo or name on them.

I hope he's doing ok, health is important. That's why woodworking is so important, it puts fiber in your diet.
Uhoh

Cheers,
Alan
(08-08-2018, 04:35 AM)Tony Z Wrote: ......... another excellent DT saw as is the now discontinued Adria (yes, I have each of the above). ........
I'm lucky enough to have an Adria dovetail and carcase saw, well made and work very well.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-08-2018, 08:04 AM)Admiral Wrote: I'm lucky enough to have an Adria dovetail and carcase saw, well made and work very well.

I also have an Adria DT saw and wish that I had bought the carcass saw. I also have a beautiful Wenzolff DT saw, but it has a very slight kink in the blade that causes it not to cut straight. Probably need to send it off to one of the current saw makers to get fixed.
(08-08-2018, 08:41 AM)Scoony Wrote: I also have an Adria DT saw and wish that I had bought the carcass saw. I also have a beautiful Wenzolff DT saw, but it has a very slight kink in the blade that causes it not to cut straight. Probably need to send it off to one of the current saw makers to get fixed.

Is the back folded or is it epoxied on? If folded, some tapping on the back can help remove a bend, etc.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I think Tony is correct that glued-back saws can't be straightened......at least that is what Mark Harrell says.
(08-08-2018, 08:41 AM)Scoony Wrote: I also have an Adria DT saw and wish that I had bought the carcass saw. I also have a beautiful Wenzolff DT saw, but it has a very slight kink in the blade that causes it not to cut straight. Probably need to send it off to one of the current saw makers to get fixed.

(08-08-2018, 03:48 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: I think Tony is correct that glued-back saws can't be straightened......at least that is what Mark Harrell says.

I once straightend one of Marks's saws.... (not his fault.)
You can completly rebuild glued saws, too. Been there, don that.

Kinks in saw blades are not easy to repair.

Cheers
Pedder