What happened to Wenzolff and Sons?
(08-17-2018, 11:30 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I don't think Woodcentral is active at all. The same dozen of people and sometimes nit one single post in days.
It seemed there were a number of posts in the past few weeks.

(08-17-2018, 11:30 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The Sawcreek is active but overly moderated as you pointed out. Threads disappear with no explanation or posts removed if they don't like what they see.
I've never been fond of too much moderation...and I subscribe to the old school netiquette, and some of the recent moderators don't care for my use of extended ascii for profanity. You can't please everyone I 'spose...
Laugh

(08-17-2018, 11:30 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Forums are dying because we change and there are alternatives: instagram is getting hot these days with one account having 6 digit followers!
That could be but wouldn't explain why Sawmill Creek is pretty active. It is also many of the same people. What matters, IMO, is not how many active members there are but that new messages continue to be posted and dialog takes place.

(08-17-2018, 11:30 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Still forums are better than blogs where you often see views that are the same as the bloggers. All you see is group think.

Blogs have their purpose, but don't allow very good collaboration, IMO, but Ello is not bad. Ello allows you to sell items in posts if you like also, I'm not entirely sure how that works...but it's a good concept. Ello is based around artists and makers.

Cheers,
Alan
(08-18-2018, 05:15 AM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: It seemed there were a number of posts in the past few weeks.

I've never been fond of too much moderation...and I subscribe to the old school netiquette, and some of the recent moderators don't care for my use of extended ascii for profanity. You can't please everyone I 'spose...
Laugh

That could be but wouldn't explain why Sawmill Creek is pretty active. It is also many of the same people. What matters, IMO, is not how many active members there are but that new messages continue to be posted and dialog takes place.

Blogs have their purpose, but don't allow very good collaboration, IMO, but Ello is not bad. Ello allows you to sell items in posts if you like also, I'm not entirely sure how that works...but it's a good concept. Ello is based around artists and makers.

Cheers,
Alan

SMC seems to have a Bob Smalser wannabe..
Sad ...will attack anyone that would even DARE to post something that didn't agree with what ever he says..
Upset ..Stops just short of saying he, and he alone, helped Henry Disston design  the first saws Henry made..
Uhoh
Uhoh
Uhoh
Uhoh ...BTDT...laughed at the A-hole....
Laugh
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(08-18-2018, 10:01 AM)bandit571 Wrote: SMC seems to have a Bob Smalser wannabe..
Sad ...will attack anyone that would even DARE to post something that didn't agree with what ever he says..
Upset ..Stops just short of saying he, and he alone, helped Henry Disston design  the first saws Henry made..
Uhoh
Uhoh
Uhoh
Laugh

I used to post a lot on SMC but quit when the owner downloaded all the photos and how-to posts and reproduced them on a disc that he offered for sale with absolutely no advance notice to, or request for permission from, me or anybody else whose material he sold. I read his Terms of Service and disagreed that they granted blanket permission to the owner to use my materials for his commercial gain, but it was questionable. I decided it wasn't worth fighting about, so I just deleted SMC from my favorites and never went back.
(08-17-2018, 11:30 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: SNIP>>>

Still forums are better than blogs where you often see views that are the same as the bloggers. All you see is group think.

Simon

I couldn't agree with this statement more. However, usually, bloggers tend to attract insular admirers, and forums sparing partners. Woodnet has the 'cesspool' where the ugly truth of individuals is laid bare and, where potential conflicts elsewhere are banished. Participants on a forum and blog-type infomercial tend to forget that comments are not one-on-one. 

Where's Mike?

Bruce (Laughing about the Mark Spitz infomercial for beets. Beets!?)
(08-18-2018, 10:01 AM)bandit571 Wrote: SMC seems to have a Bob Smalser wannabe..
Uhoh
Uhoh
Uhoh
Laugh

Not sure who you are referring to, but there are some on SMC (as on here), that are bonifide experts. There are some on SMC (as on here), that are "know it alls".

Best to ignore the "know it alls", and keep aharpening your own skills: always something old to learn!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-18-2018, 12:37 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Not sure who you are referring to, but there are some on SMC (as on here), that are bonifide experts.  There are some on SMC (as on here), that are "know it alls".

Best to ignore the "know it alls", and keep aharpening your own skills:  always something old to learn!
Just got done placing the "My way or the Highway" A-hole on the Ignore list.....IF I could, I would block him....like I can do on Lumberjocks.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(08-18-2018, 12:43 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Just got done placing the "My way or the Highway" A-hole on the Ignore list.....IF I could, I would block him....like I can do on Lumberjocks.

Which of your threads was he ragging you on?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-18-2018, 05:15 AM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: That could be but wouldn't explain why Sawmill Creek is pretty active. It is also many of the same people. What matters, IMO, is not how many active members there are but that new messages continue to be posted and dialog takes place.

Cheers,
Alan

One active forum does not tell you the whole picture of the general decline of forums. FOG is active, too. But look at Family Woodworking, WC, an Aust. forum, and a few others, they have threads or posts that may be 10% of what they used to be 5 or 10 years ago. Even Woodnet is declining. People move on, have other interests, have other means to stay connected, etc.

New messages is one thing, but if participation is limited to the same group (that you can count in two hands or four) then you are not getting fresh ideas and experience.

Have you ever come across any woodworking forums with a 6-digit number of participants? One woodworking instagram account is only one year old or so and has close to 140K followers!

Instagram is allowing now longer videos which will only make it more popular. Of course, Instagram is also full of ignorant followers as is youtube etc.

Simon
(08-18-2018, 12:37 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Not sure who you are referring to, but there are some on SMC (as on here), that are bonifide experts.  There are some on SMC (as on here), that are "know it alls".

Best to ignore the "know it alls", and keep aharpening your own skills:  always something old to learn!

I don't mind the "know it alls" as I am capable of telling with ease if he or she is really a "know it alls" or just a bs person in the subject areas I am good at.

I only can't stand those who are so ignorant that they will accept whatever others in the forum say. Again, I see these in a lot of forums. A recent case in point from a blog:

One vendor is releasing a new tool, and the final design is different from an earlier prototype (in the finish). That should be totally ok as a prototype is a prototype. But the vendor made up some nonsense reasons to justify the change which anyone with a functioning brain knows the change was to reduce time and cost. All the vendor needed was: To keep our price down, the new tool will have a xxx finish instead of the xxx finish shown in the prototype.

But all you see is nods. nods, and more nods, with no one daring to point out the Emperor really has no clothes! Do we find blind followers in the woodworking community only?

Simon
The same vendor took a similar approach about a (missing) feature of an earlier product.