Brand new home inspection.
(08-07-2018, 04:39 AM)tomsteve Wrote: what would ya nail the drywall to along the wall underneath?

Those 2x's are floating nailers for a wall running parallel to the joists not drywall nailers. There shouldn't be perimeter drywall nails/nailers on a top floor if the house has a truss-built roof. The horizontal drywall edges should sit on the vertical wall drywall for support. You shouldn't nail/screw ceiling drywall close to the edges or you'll get nail pops  and torn seams from truss-uplift in the winter. Those are just there so the wall under it stays in place.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(08-07-2018, 12:42 AM)lift mechanic Wrote: I saw that method of installing drywall in some magazine a few years ago. The drywall does not break on a stud or joist. You back up the seam with 1x material. They said it made a better invisiable joint. I call BS.

10-4

(08-07-2018, 04:39 AM)tomsteve Wrote: what would ya nail the drywall to along the wall underneath?

We never put in a wall that isn't under a truss or joist. Always under, never between like that one is.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-07-2018, 04:30 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: 10-4

We never put in a wall that isn't under a truss or joist. Always under, never between like that one is.

not sure how you could do that and stick to the blueprint.
(08-07-2018, 05:39 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Those 2x's are floating nailers for a wall running parallel to the joists not drywall nailers. There shouldn't be perimeter drywall nails/nailers on a top floor if the house has a truss-built roof. The horizontal drywall edges should sit on the vertical wall drywall for support. You shouldn't nail/screw ceiling drywall close to the edges or you'll get nail pops  and torn seams from truss-uplift in the winter. Those are just there so the wall under it stays in place.

Then why are there two of them?
(08-07-2018, 05:04 PM)tomsteve Wrote: not sure how you could do that and stick to the blueprint.

Seems to me the blueprint shouldn't be drawn up any other way.
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-07-2018, 05:13 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Then why are there two of them?

The wall below it is 4-1/2 inches wide (one 2x4 + two layers of 1/2 in sheetrock) 2 x 4s are only 3-1/2 inches wide so you need 2. They're connected to those sheetmetal brackets. The brackets are not connected to the trusses. They just sit between them. They allow the trusses to move without damaging the ceiling.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(08-07-2018, 07:14 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: The wall below it is 4-1/2 inches wide (one 2x4 + two layers of 1/2 in sheetrock) 2 x 4s are only 3-1/2 inches wide so you need 2. They're connected to those sheetmetal brackets. The brackets are not connected to the trusses. They just sit between them. They allow the trusses to move without damaging the ceiling.

So what are those 2x4's connected to?  I assume not the top plate of the wall because you'd only need one.  And there is a gap, and I see drywall in the gap.

A lot of though went into that framing method, I'm sort of curious about it now.
The 2xs are nailed to the top of the wall but not connected to the trusses. The sheetrock on the ceiling is probably nailed/screwed to the 2xs but not to the closest trusses.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(08-06-2018, 10:06 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Its amazing the lack of craftsmanship in new construction these days, not to mention obvious details. Its all about time and money.

I was in a 1MM+ house not to long ago that was spec built and on the market. My 1978 house was built way better. You could see the scarf lines in trim (not to mention not using full length pieces on about a 6' run (either lazy or too cheap for another couple bucks....) one electrical box was cut too large and you could see the small gap around the plate cover, hardwood floor gaps....and I wasnt even looking for issues. 

Its like the workers just don't have the skill set or care to do a nice job.

The "regular" workers don't, they just throw stuff up as fast as possible. At the end of the job the contractor will bring in his "punch list" guys who will fix whatever the buyer has flagged as deficient. If the buyer doesn't flag anything, then it's a win for the contractor.

I was absolutely flabbergasted when my contractor explained this to me when I was getting the house rehabbed after Katrina. 

We went through this on a build out of the offices of the company I work for.  I was one of the punch list inspectors.  I got about half way through when the contractor came by and took my clipboard and told me I was too "picky"..... 
Raised
Upset
chris
(08-12-2018, 03:05 PM)doobes Wrote:  At the end of the job the contractor will bring in his "punch list" guys who will fix whatever the buyer has flagged as deficient. If the buyer doesn't flag anything, then it's a win for the contractor.

Yes. It's been that way for a lot of years now.
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020