Brand new home inspection.
(08-07-2018, 05:39 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Seems to me the blueprint shouldn't be drawn up any other way.

Does your blueprints show trusses that are not evenly spaced.  We always used backers between the trusses to nail 1x4 for the drywall
(08-06-2018, 10:58 PM)EdL Wrote: Both....they lack self-esteem and pride in workmanship.

Ed

I wonder how the home got Occupancy from the jurisdiction they live? Where was the building inspector on this job?

In regards to craftsmanship (in general, not specifically to this attic). The real problem has to do with pay structure.  Subcontractors in the housing industry has moved to paying workers piece work. This motivates workers to get more done in a day, rather than spending extra time refining some detail.  Think about it, if you had a choice of feeding your kids better or making sure some detail is pretty in the attic - what would you choose?.  The end benefit to the home buyer is that builder can accurately quote construction costs. You want craftsmanship, pay by the hour and open up your wallet.
...the one thing I can make perfectly every time, without fail, is a mess!
(08-17-2018, 02:55 PM)woodgrain Wrote: I wonder how the home got Occupancy from the jurisdiction they live? Where was the building inspector on this job?
This particular home is in a new development. They've been building for about 4 years. Several hundred homes and townhouses have been built and a couple hundred to go. They're finishing one house about every 4 days.
One of the issues with these developments is the buyers aren't using RE Agents so they have no representation. You can use an agent or you can get free upgrades like tile and or hardwood floors and granite countertops. Same with financing, use your own or get upgrades.
In this case, a previous client of mine recommended me. I inspected a houes in the same neighborhood for them. I found some odd things in the previous client's inspection too: The gas pipe from the meter ran right in front of an outdoor receptacle. You couldn't lift the receptacle cover to use the outlet because it hit the pipe. The fold down attic ladder was installed backwards so you couldn't unfold the ladder because it hit the bedroom wall. Interior doors out of plumb, they wouldn't latch, binding on the frames and would either swing open or swing closed.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

It's probably a custom home- they want to know what color insulation you want.
You are right Neil, even brand new homes need PRE-inspection prior to closing.  I had two co-workers buy homes during my last few years working, and advised them both to spend the money for the pre-inspection.  The female said her hubby told her not to worry, there is this thing called a punch list. 
Rolleyes

The male gave it some thought, and was very glad he did. The list was long and detailed... they walked away, didn't have to pay any penalty, and had the same inspector check the next house they chose. (Three small items...)

Oh, yeah...

Mr. Punch List nearly had to take the builder to court to get the list completed... a couple of the items weren't minor.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(08-18-2018, 08:28 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: You are right Neil, even brand new homes need PRE-inspection prior to closing.  I had two co-workers buy homes during my last few years working, and advised them both to spend the money for the pre-inspection.  The female said her hubby told her not to worry, there is this thing called a punch list. 
Rolleyes

The male gave it some thought, and was very glad he did. The list was long and detailed... they walked away, didn't have to pay any penalty, and had the same inspector check the next house they chose. (Three small items...)

Oh, yeah...

Mr. Punch List nearly had to take the builder to court to get the list completed... a couple of the items weren't minor.

The most "defect free" home I have inspected was a new modular home. I wasn't aware it was modular until I arrived at the inspection. One hinge on a kitchen cabinet door had a stripped wood-screw. Normally I snug up loose hinges because it's faster than typing it in my report but this was stripped. I was amazed at the precision of the pipe, duct and wire routing. No binding doors or tight vinyl windows.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay