Nice Barn Find!
A friend of mine has a barn that is quickly falling apart.  He took a couple of boards out of the mess and gave them to me.  I was going to use one of the boards to add a rustic feel to one of my wife's wall hangings.  When I went to cut it to size I was surprised that the wood dust was reddish.  I thought it might be some old oak like the other board he gave me.  So out of curiosity I put the board through my planer.  Here's what it looked like before and after.

I'm pretty sure it was walnut hiding beneath that old exterior.  Not bad for a "barn find", huh?

Attached Files Image(s)

Vertical grain walnut, not bad at all.
(08-11-2018, 09:01 PM)dg152 Wrote: A friend of mine has a barn that is quickly falling apart.  He took a couple of boards out of the mess and gave them to me.  I was going to use one of the boards to add a rustic feel to one of my wife's wall hangings.  When I went to cut it to size I was surprised that the wood dust was reddish.  I thought it might be some old oak like the other board he gave me.  So out of curiosity I put the board through my planer.  Here's what it looked like before and after.

I'm pretty sure it was walnut hiding beneath that old exterior.  Not bad for a "barn find", huh?

congrats - your friend deserves a cold beer!
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
Old barns were built with wood that was usually local to their homestead. Pretty cool!!
Go back and offer to tear it down for him!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-12-2018, 08:01 AM)med-one Wrote: Old barns were built with wood that was usually local to their homestead. Pretty cool!!

In this case, as evidenced by the heart, it was a board most burned back when.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.

Cool 

Some years back I helped salvage an old barn that the timbers were pinned together.

A newer tin roof had been added later in years, and all the 1x4 tin nailers were walnut.
I saved and hoarded and finally used up all of that.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Many farms around here in WI, near the twin cities used walnut for Corn Cribs and Fence posts.  I missed out on a truck load of walnut a farmer sold for cheap.  Ended up getting 2 6' Walnut fence posts for $20, and 10 boards of 8' x 13" x 8/4 Red Oak for about $100 that he had left.  I also salvaged some White Oak flooring from a barn built in the early 1900's . Just starting to plan on what to do with it all, before the wife gives it away as just wood. Since a lot of this is old growth, the grain is beautiful. Dan
'
I don't know what it is, but it looks really nice. Second on going back for all you can take.