Strange, little saw
(08-21-2018, 05:21 AM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Indeed this was the case Jack.

I couldn't encourage people to think about building structures more, whether it be a shop in your backyard or a a large shop on your property if you have enough space, or even en entire house! An Accessory Building is a huge win in itself. I built a 200 sq.ft. Accessory Building, I use for my office and hand tool work. I have 2 benches, one for wood and one for metal. So I can file saws, refurbish saws, assemble saws, cut joinery, make handles, etc...I haven't done too much woodworking recently, and haven't made any saws in a while. Trying to get back into it.

Anyway, people can work through the building issues, my office/shop in my yard is used ever single day. It is some of the best space I have at my house. It has more than paid for itself, several fold over.

The new shop will be in the walkout basement of the house I'm building. It will have more space and allow me to setup all my woodworking machines again.

Alan
Over my almost 86 years I have had so many "hobbies" that I can't remember all of them, but if I had to choose only one, I guess metal work would be it..That's because I started working my apprenticeship in a local machine shop and I have loved it ever since...I have had two lathes almost 60 years..for a total or eight!!!.It isn't that I "need" them...it's that I "want" them!!!!!
Blush
Blush
Sick
For a long life, do whatever you can to stay happy {as long as it's legal, of course}...Life is a journey...
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Since we've wandered into saw vises...I've got, and have seen pictures from other folks who found, a little saw vise clearly intended for jobsite work: folds up compactly, designed to clamp to something like a sawhorse.  It would not be the vise of choice for shop work, but I can imagine it coming out on the job for touch ups.
(08-21-2018, 07:44 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: Over my almost 86 years I have had so many "hobbies" that I can't remember all of them, but if I had to choose only one, I guess metal work would be it..
I didn't know how to work metal very well until after I started to create saws. It was the saws that drove me into metalworking. I really like metalworking as far as being able to do in a home shop, it's more contained for most of the work I do. It is indispensable for toolmaking.

(08-21-2018, 07:44 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: I have had two lathes almost 60 years..for a total or eight!!!.It isn't that I "need" them...it's that I "want" them!!!!!
Blush  
Blush  
Sick
For a long life, do whatever you can to stay happy {as long as it's legal, of course}...Life is a journey...
Winkgrin
I have 3 lathes, one in pieces that I'll restore. My main lathe is a Rivett 1020F, considered by many to be one of the best toolroom lathes built in America. In the same class as a Monarch 10EE toolroom lathe. As a machinist you might be familiar with those. My Rivett came out of the Hershey factory in Oakville, CA when the plant moved to Mexico, I bought it from the moving company.

I also have a small South Bend 9A, it was the first lathe I bought. It came out of the Levi Strauss factory in San Francisco when U.S. production shut down in the U.S., sometime in the late 90s. I bought it from the shop the purchased it and used it for 3 or 4 years. My 3rd lathe is a South Bend 10L (Heavy 10), that's the one in pieces. This is a perfect size lathe for a home shop, and my plan was to have it at the new shop until I decide to move there on a permanent basis (i.e., full retirement).

For me that is what my life is about. I have worked up to this point to take care of my family and plan my retirement. I just want to build stuff and work on this house, which I will leave to my family. I know exactly how much taxes my home will be assessed for, which is about 20% of the area I live. Everywhere in California doesn't need to be expensive.

(08-21-2018, 10:36 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Since we've wandered into saw vises...I've got, and have seen pictures from other folks who found, a little saw vise clearly intended for jobsite work: folds up compactly, designed to clamp to something like a sawhorse.  It would not be the vise of choice for shop work, but I can imagine it coming out on the job for touch ups.

I'm just a bystander commenting on the inet, so wandering is not my concern...
Wink

I've seen a few different ones, and have one somewhere made of wood. I have a few of the common saw vises, but don't use them. One I use on my desk, it just works well on my desk while sitting in a chair. On my bench I usually place a piece of wood in my Emmert clone, flip it up and attach one or two Disston 3D vises. If I have something really long I'm working with I'll use 2 of them side-by-side.

The woodworkers that would use those remote type vises would usually want to get good view of the, so they would have tried to get it up closer to eye height so they could stand and sharpen their saws. Tom Law mentioned that in his infamous video on saw sharpening with John, err...I mean Jennie Alexander co-staring...which is also a good reminder...don't let you saw get too close to your member!
Big eek

Alan

PS - I've wondered but seen some of your posts around Bill...here, 'mill creep and wood central...hope all is well with you. I've been doing a fair amount of traveling through your neck of the woods, between Santa Clara and Lake Counties. I head up and over the gate, stop for breakfast at the Bluebird in Hopland, and over 175 to Lake. On the way back I head over the Richmond bridge as I don't like the way the camera/toll-fee-mailed/pay system works. I wish they would finish working on 101 up there...
Rolleyes
Metal working? I got a few machines!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-21-2018, 08:23 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Metal working?  I got a few machines!

Yes TOO many...you need to set some of them free !!
Laugh
Laugh
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(08-21-2018, 08:23 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Metal working?  I got a few machines!

I bet you do Tony...I bet you have a fair amount invested in tooling, probably more than machines...
Big Grin 

Alan
(08-22-2018, 03:43 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: I bet you do Tony...I bet you have a fair amount invested in tooling, probably more than machines...
Big Grin 

Alan

Nope - infinitely more $$$ in the machinery, as long as I include presses and furnaces. I have six CNC machining centers, but each basically runs one or two parts at the most, day in and day out 24/5. I have three horizontal double disc centerless grinders that also run non-stop. Very little manual equipment anymore, though I have most in storage in one of the other buildings I own.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-23-2018, 11:15 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Nope - infinitely more $$$ in the machinery, as long as I include presses and furnaces.  I have six CNC machining centers, but each basically runs one or two parts at the most, day in and day out 24/5.  I have three horizontal double disc centerless grinders that also run non-stop.  Very little manual equipment anymore, though I have most in storage in one of the other buildings I own.

That doesn't equate to spending more on tooling to keep those centers going? I know that tooling and inserts are not cheap...that's probably a good thing for you that the bulk of your costs comes in on the machines themselves.

Alan