Finding elec. short????
I'd figure out which outlet is first on the circuit. Disconnect after that outlet and test up to that point. If good, add another outlet. Keep adding until you get a trip. That'll tell you where the problem is.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Just found these FL codes.
E3905.1.5 Buried conductors

E3905.1.5
Splices and taps in buried conductors and cables shall not be required to be enclosed in a box or conduit body where installed in accordance with Section E3803.4.
E3803.4 Splices and taps

E3803.4
Direct buried conductors or cables shall be permitted to be spliced or tapped without the use of splice boxes. The splices or taps shall be made by approved methods with materials listed for the application.

Looks like I will cut the conduit at the end of the 40 run, before it bends and goes under walkway, and pull out old wire, pulling a new one, and see how the wire looks, and ck for short.
Then put a junction box in and splice the wiring going under walk, and into lanai.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Is this rigid metal pipe or PVC??  You have to ask yourself how would a wire get shorted in the first place??  It is not going to get cut in a pipe. If the splice came apart and it is not metal pipe it is not going to ground. I can understand an outlet breaking down from use. I can understand someone doing some digging and hit the pipe and shorted wires. I bet there is something else on that circuit other than those 4 outlets.
John T.
(08-14-2018, 08:08 PM)Pirate Wrote: Just found these FL codes.
E3905.1.5 Buried conductors

E3905.1.5
Splices and taps in buried conductors and cables shall not be required to be enclosed in a box or conduit body where installed in accordance with Section E3803.4.
E3803.4 Splices and taps

E3803.4
Direct buried conductors or cables shall be permitted to be spliced or tapped without the use of splice boxes. The splices or taps shall be made by approved methods with materials listed for the application.

Looks like I will cut the conduit at the end of the 40 run, before it bends and goes under walkway, and pull out old wire, pulling a new one, and see how the wire looks, and ck for short.
Then put a junction box in and splice the wiring going under walk, and into lanai.

Before you pull the wire out to check it insulate the cut ends and try to energize it, that will tell you if the problem is before or after the cut.   Chances are you will find a pipe coupling of fitting disconnected and the wire shorting on the edge.  Roly
I'm 99 percent sure the wire in question, only has 2 outlets on it.
Got extension cord powering the TV and sound system, so the pressure is off!
Next, will cut and test wire in 40' run and test.

Removing wire question.
Pull wire out, by itself, or pull new wire with old wire?
The non metallic. conduit is 3/4" and wire looks like Romex. I assume it's uf wire. Looks like 14ga.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(08-15-2018, 07:18 AM)Pirate Wrote: Pull wire out, by itself, or pull new wire with old wire?
The non metallic. conduit is 3/4" and wire looks like Romex. I assume it's uf wire. Looks like 14ga.

Pull a messenger with the old cable.  Assuming the old cable isn't stuck from a crushed or broken conduit, including possibly sand or mud in the conduit.  You may be messing with it a bit.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(08-15-2018, 07:25 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Pull a messenger with the old cable.  Assuming the old cable isn't stuck from a crushed or broken conduit, including possibly sand or mud in the conduit.  You may be messing with it a bit.

I would pull the new wire in with the use of the old wire or if you have a piece of single wire to use as a drag line then pull that in. I would not use string of any kind as a drag line because it can cut into the pvc pipe as you pull it and cause other problems. Maybe this is what happened and a sharp edge was burned into the pipe when they originally pulled it in and it finally wore a hole in the RX I would also use some dish washing liquid as lubricant when you pull ne wire in to help the wire slide in easily. You are not talking long distance here but everything helps. 

But now you say that is probably uf cable in the pipe I highly doubt that is where the problem is. That stuff is pretty tuff to cut. Good luck and keep us informed.
John T.
(08-15-2018, 08:21 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: I would pull the new wire in with the use of the old wire or if you have a piece of single wire to use as a drag line then pull that in. I would not use string of any kind as a drag line because it can cut into the pvc pipe as you pull it and cause other problems. Maybe this is what happened and a sharp edge was burned into the pipe when they originally pulled it in and it finally wore a hole in the RX I would also use some dish washing liquid as lubricant when you pull ne wire in to help the wire slide in easily. You are not talking long distance here but everything helps. 

But now you say that is probably uf cable in the pipe I highly doubt that is where the problem is. That stuff is pretty tuff to cut. Good luck and keep us informed.

Agreed.    The combo of pvc and uf is very tuff.   Roly
Well we are all waiting for the final results to this. Any progress???
John T.
Was so looking forward to see the follow up on this. I hate when people do that.
John T.