Ebonizing plane handles?
(08-14-2018, 03:17 PM)longbarrel50 Wrote: How do you ebonize a plane handle? I have a few older planes that have beech handles where the ebonized finish is worn off. I'd like to try and restore that finish if possible. I know it won't make the plane work better, I'd just like it to look better.

Thanks,

Chris

I just dyed some stuff with india ink. Cheap, easy to apply and did a fine job. Be aware that the ink (at least the stuff I bought) uses some shellac in the mix and thus might be subject to some bleeding if you use shellac as your topcoat. 

Jeff
If you're looking for a true black India ink is a good choice.  I've used it before and like it.

EDIT: It's not compatible with lacquer. Oil finishes are fine, I haven't tried shellac.
I've used Transtint Dyes with a good amount of success.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
(08-14-2018, 03:17 PM)longbarrel50 Wrote: How do you ebonize a plane handle? I have a few older planes that have beech handles where the ebonized finish is worn off. I'd like to try and restore that finish if possible. I know it won't make the plane work better, I'd just like it to look better.

Thanks,

Chris

I have a lot of methods now. My apologies, but I haven't had the chance to try any. I hope to start this weekend.
Thanks to everyone, you have been very informative.
Chris