You can do this
All you need is a belt {or a bench} grinder.The cheap little Harbor Freight grinder will do the job nicely. It is one of the best buys on the market today and it will earn it's keep many times over for your tool sharpening needs. I have been doing it this way for 75years and it aint rocket science!!!! Don't tell yourself you CAN'T do it...you CAN!!! Pay attention and practice!! You will be amazed at how simple it is!!!!..I was just surfing Youtube and stumbled on this channel..It shows pretty much they way I was taught many years ago..You will have no excuse for dull drill bits anymore!!!!!!
Winkgrin
Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tie1hQ0qQQ
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I'm impressed.  Doesn't look like Justin posted a video about the belt grinder yet though
(08-15-2018, 12:43 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: All you need is a belt {or a bench} grinder.The cheap little Harbor Freight grinder will do the job nicely. It is one of the best buys on the market today and it will earn it's keep many times over for your tool sharpening needs. I have been doing it this way for 75years and it aint rocket science!!!! Don't tell yourself you CAN'T do it...you CAN!!! Pay attention and practice!! You will be amazed at how simple it is!!!!..I was just surfing Youtube and stumbled on this channel..It shows pretty much they way I was taught many years ago..You will have no excuse for dull drill bits anymore!!!!!!
Winkgrin  
Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tie1hQ0qQQ

Thank you for posting this! I ordered and received my norton blaze belts today (amazon Prime)
I used a different 320 grit belt I had and  , over the last couple days, I have  resurrected probably a 100 bits or more.
I had used my drill doctor 500 on a bunch of bits and managed to make them useless about 6 months ago.
Thanks again for posting this procedure-----it is working great for me.
Gordon
(08-18-2018, 04:39 PM)gordon 131 Wrote: Thank you for posting this! I ordered and received my norton blaze belts today (amazon Prime)
I used a different 320 grit belt I had and  , over the last couple days, I have  resurrected probably a 100 bits or more.
I had used my drill doctor 500 on a bunch of bits and managed to make them useless about 6 months ago.
Thanks again for posting this procedure-----it is working great for me.
Gordon

I'm glad you found it useful...It takes a little practice to "get the hang of it" but once you get it, it is a quick way to keep your bits sharp..and not "just" drill bits...My lady friend does lots of sewing and has at least a dozen scissors...I was having to sharpen them for her all the time..she can't stand dull scissors and I can't stand dull tools.. But I bought a sweet little Delta belt grinder at a yard sale and gave it to her with an assortment of belts, then taught her to sharpened her own scissors AND her kitchen knives!!! She loves the little machine!! I love belt grinders too and presently have 8 at last count, and I am planning on building another one..Two of my favorites are slo-speed horizontal grinders, one of which I made..

For another good Youtube instructor {the best IMO}, check out Youtube's shop teacher himself, Mr. Lyle Peterson....mrpete222.  AKA Tubalcain...He's another old hand...and an outstanding machinist!!! He has almost 1,000 videos and I think I have watched every one of them!!!!!
Winkgrin  
Big Grin

PS...I have a large Drill Doctor...used it one time..I can do it faster and just as good...and with a belt OR a bench grinder.....and I can grind split points and modify drills for brass or steel. Anybody can do it if they try...The DD can't do that..
Crazy
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

I rekon those small fast running grinders are pretty much useless for sharpening knives and axes and such. It is too difficult to create a slightly hollow bevel withour overheating the edge.
On the other hand they are excellent for drill bits and for rough grinding badly damaged tools.
I have 3 bench grinders set up with different wheelsfor different purposes.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(08-19-2018, 12:42 AM)TGW Wrote: I rekon those small fast running grinders are pretty much useless for sharpening knives and axes and such. It is too difficult to create a slightly hollow bevel withour overheating the edge.
On the other hand they are excellent for drill bits and for rough grinding badly damaged tools.
I have 3 bench grinders set up with different wheelsfor different purposes.
I use mine for knife sharpening all the time but the small ones would be overwhelmed with a large axe...I have a 2X72" belt grinder that can do it..It has a 10" wheel. and can hollow grind..For smaller knives, I made the little 1"X30" horizontal grinder that runs at half the speed of the commercially made grinders and it is much easier to control..Belts remove metal with less danger of overheating the steel than vitrified grinding wheels and you don't have to dress them.. I have many grits for them and a leather strop ...I have been making wood carving knives for many years..so that's mostly what I use them for but I also sharpen High speed tool bits and chisels with them.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Having just returned as the prodigal son, I am emboldened to ask--- "Jack, my friend and mentor, and humane ear when needed. WHAT DON"T YOU HAVE?
(08-31-2018, 07:28 PM)Mtobey Wrote: Having just returned as the prodigal son, I am emboldened to ask--- "Jack, my friend and mentor, and humane ear when needed. WHAT DON"T YOU HAVE?

Welcome back Judge, old friend !!!!!! Good to know you're throwing your hat back into the ring!!!!! I hope you are doing well...Still trying my best to produce the "sharpest edges ever honed" as Gillette Razors used to say..But how will I ever know if I have achieved it ???
Crazy
Big Grin ..Remember when we tried to devise a repeatable method of measuring the sharpness of a blade by cutting a string ??? That was a long time ago....lots of water has passed under the bridge....

But to answer your question Mike, one thing none of us have enough of is TIME !!! It sure flies when you're having fun !!!! But you know that !!!
Winkgrin

Get off my lawn !
Upset