D16 Reborn
Well I finally got my medallion from Ebay so it was time to finish the saw.  Stats: D-16(maybe) 7 tpi, rip.

This was a project that I started I don't even know how many years ago.  I have instituted a new shop rule though.  Whenever I come across an old project there is only two options.  Finish it, or get rid of it.  Loved how the handle fit my hand, and the look of the handle with one side sap wood, one side heart wood with softwood top.

The blade was super rusty so I had to take care of that.  Since the etch wasn't visible at all I just used the wire wheel on my bench grinder to take off most, then a scotch bright pad to even out he finish.

As I had never made a handle for a saw before I did make some mistakes.  The handle is thicker than original and as a result I had to recess the holes quite a bit.  Live and learn.  If I did it again I would make handle the same thickness to make life easier.  Enough of words, pic time.

Shows the best view of heart/sapwood split.  I didn't taper the top section as i often find that dinged up on old saws.

[Image: D16.Handle.Front.View.jpg]

Couple closeups of the handle.  Second pic is weird angle to show sapwood, straight shot didn't show it.

[Image: D16-Handle%20(1).jpg]

[Image: D16-Handle%20(2).jpg]

And the money shot.  When I asked on here I was told it was probably a D16, don't know if that is right as it has a skewed back.

[Image: D16-Glory.Shot.jpg]
Semper Fi,

Barry
Nice work!   Have you used it yet?
Chris
Very nice. Lot of work in that handle.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-16-2018, 05:47 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: Nice work!   Have you used it yet?

Just some test cuts.  Only reason I came across it is I'm straightening up the shop to clear out one block wall to skim coat it.

It still has the factory sharpening on it.  First saw I have every come across that way.  Cuts like a dream.  I'm still on the hunt for a 4-5 tpi rip though.
Semper Fi,

Barry
Nicely done.
Yes
Well done on the handle.  Remember if it is think do not forget about rasps and files.

Here is an old like a lot of liked about polishing a saw plate.

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=6366663

I hope this helps for future saws.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Nice job! I don't have any D16's and I have no idea if that saw was made in a skew back, so maybe someone with knowledge can comment. My favorite Disstons are #16, and I have at least a half dozen of them, plus a custom Wenzloff interpretation of a #16. I also like #12's, but slightly less than the 16's, mainly because I have 16's before the 12's and those are the saws that feel like an extension of my hand.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Looks fantastic-congrats!
(08-20-2018, 02:44 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Nice job!  I don't have any D16's and I have no idea if that saw was made in a skew back, so maybe someone with knowledge can comment.  My favorite Disstons are #16, and I have at least a half dozen of them, plus a custom Wenzloff interpretation of a #16.  I also like #12's, but slightly less than the 16's, mainly because I have 16's before the 12's and those are the saws that feel like an extension of my hand.

I showed the old handle in another thread and couple people thought it was a D-16.  It did match the handle pattern the most, so I'm gonna call it a D-16 until proben otherwise.  Cuts nice, all I really care about.
Semper Fi,

Barry
(08-20-2018, 01:22 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Well done on the handle.  Remember if it is think do not forget about rasps and files.

Here is an old like a lot of liked about polishing a saw plate.

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=6366663

I hope this helps for future saws.

Ha, I did use quite a few rasp/files to shape but by the time I discovered the issue with too short screws I already loved the feel of the handle, deeper holes it was.

(08-20-2018, 05:06 PM)Greg Jones Wrote: Looks fantastic-congrats!

Thank you sir.
Semper Fi,

Barry