Sargent #42 scraper plane value?
I bought this Sargent #42 years ago, possibly on Woodnet - I can't remember.  I've never gotten around to cleaning it up and likely never will so I'm wondering what it's worth.  I see them on ebay with asking prices between $150 and $199 (I know!).

What's a realistic price?

Thanks,
  Mike

[Image: 29173235717_460324a4b9_c.jpg]

[Image: 29173233067_ff3e63a8b2_c.jpg]

[Image: 44110896951_5702b8554e_c.jpg]
At the right side of the search box on eBay, it says "advanced."  That's a link that let you select for completed auctions only; I usually choose "sold," figuring I don't need to know that someone who wanted $2,500 for a rusty Stanley No. 4 didn't sell it.  The sold auctions are a far more useful guide to actual value: classic Economics 101, things are worth what people are willing to pay for them.

Sargent's not as well known as Stanley, so the prices are usually lower, even for the tools, like the Sargent dado planes, that are superior to Stanley's offerings.

I'll start the bidding at $1
Big Grin
(08-18-2018, 12:01 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: At the right side of the search box on eBay, it says "advanced."  That's a link that let you select for completed auctions only; I usually choose "sold," figuring I don't need to know that someone who wanted $2,500 for a rusty Stanley No. 4 didn't sell it.  The sold auctions are a far more useful guide to actual value: classic Economics 101, things are worth what people are willing to pay for them.

Sargent's not as well known as Stanley, so the prices are usually lower, even for the tools, like the Sargent dado planes, that are superior to Stanley's offerings.

I'll start the bidding at $1
Big Grin

Tried the advanced search and it looks like $60 is the going price.  Seems more realistic than $199!

Thanks,
  Mike