Rail and stile router bit set?
(08-22-2018, 08:38 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I sometimes use rubber dipped gloves because they increase my grip, which prevents a hand slipping, which INCREASES safety.  The fit very tightly and never get close enough to anything spinning.

That being said, if you read my post again, I said I used them doing the panels.  No way to get into the bit unless you do something real dumb.  I said use push blocks and feather boards on the rails and stiles.  

There is nothing wrong with gloves is you keep your hands where they are supposed to be.

And yes, Duane, the first time you use that raised panel bit can be a bit unnerving.  Keep the router speed on low, go slow, and follow the tip I gave you.

Well a man has to do what a man has to do. And when it come to safety, a person can justify what ever he wants to justify, yes even gloves. I can't justify unplugging my table saw to change blades. It has a magnetic  starter switch that can't possibly start the saw without reaching under the table and deliberately pushing the green on  button. But to another person it would be against their safety rules.

An example is I was watching Olympic down hill racing, a rerun on the Olympic channel. And though I was a National ski patrol member in my younger days I would have never considered downhill racing, to dangerous for me and again I wouldn't have even considered it. But to a person who has trained for that sport for years not so. In fact they , after inspecting the course, they would note the areas of greatest concern, like I really need a push stick here and I am not going to proceed until I get one.

I do take full responsibility for my safety and it is not in a list of rules provided by the manufacturer of a certain product. So for me, just like no down hill ski racing, no gloves, no jewelry, long sleeved shirts buttoned at the cuff or rolled just short of the elbow and lastly an attitude that tells me protect what I can't replace. 

And I normally refuse to respond to safety post even though it was not about safety in the first place.

Tom
If you're wanting to reduce tooling costs for something you aren't probably going to use much, in the coming years, I'd recommend you look at WoodTek sets on Amazon.   I bought some WoodTek brand 3 piece cutters, maybe fifteen years ago.  Just looked and they are still about 1/3 the price of Freuds.    I've done dozens of doors in the years since and they still cut easily and parts still fit perfectly.
(08-22-2018, 08:38 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I sometimes use rubber dipped gloves because they increase my grip, which prevents a hand slipping, which INCREASES safety.  The fit very tightly and never get close enough to anything spinning.

That being said, if you read my post again, I said I used them doing the panels.  No way to get into the bit unless you do something real dumb.  I said use push blocks and feather boards on the rails and stiles.  

There is nothing wrong with gloves is you keep your hands where they are supposed to be.

And yes, Duane, the first time you use that raised panel bit can be a bit unnerving.  Keep the router speed on low, go slow, and follow the tip I gave you.

Sorry if I came off as trying to scold anyone. That was not my intention and I usually stay away from knocking anyone about safety in a forum. In my opinion that's a choice we all have to make for ourselves. I had a neighbor that got into a tablesaw blade while wearing gloves and he probably would have only gotten a nick but the blade pulled the glove into it and he lost part of two fingers. I guess I was just thinking about that when I made my comment.

Frank
No worries, Frank.

Accidents can happen, maybe the difference is experience.

I was just making a point that a hand slipping while pushing a board may outweigh risk of a tight fitting, non leather glove.  When routing panels it can be a bit cumbersome using a push block.  I like to be able to control the pressure, especially on a large panel.

But like the other poster said, safety is an individual responsibility.  What works for me may not work for someone else.