Replacing drawer slides
My kitchen cabinets have the old style under drawer mount single roller slides. I would like to start changing them out to a better full extension type. What is the best way to go without a major rework?
Below is what I have now.
https://www.amazon.com/Knape-Vogt-1175P-...wer+slides
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
Need new drawer boxes. Side clearance is different.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
You will have to go undermount for sure.  I have used the Blum self closed undermount.  The big issue is whether or not the height of the slide is the same as the old.  If the front is removable then that's not an issue.  You may have to notch part of the rear drawer - at the bottom.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Yes it will be a major rework for full extension slides . you can get 3/4. extension center mount slides but carefully check the specs. Roly
(08-21-2018, 06:22 PM)John Mihich Wrote: You will have to go undermount for sure.  I have used the Blum self closed undermount.  The big issue is whether or not the height of the slide is the same as the old.  If the front is removable then that's not an issue.  You may have to notch part of the rear drawer - at the bottom.

+1
(08-22-2018, 09:43 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: +1

Suggest going to Blum's web site  and check the drawer box requirements.  Excellent drawer slide but a different animal.   The drawer boxes have to have a 1/2" recess on bottom and they fit on the inside of the drawer sides which then determines the opening width.   They also make them for different drawer side thicknesses.  Study the drawings,  if they work for you great you can't get a better slide.   Get the slow close and not a generic slide of this type as you will need to replace them.   Been there done that.     Roly
Looks like I will be building some new drawer boxes. I have 3/4 travel now and defiantly want it to open a bit more. I have front on my drawers now that I can reuse so not a big deal. Thanks for all the help.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
You should be able to reuse your boxes if using undermount slides and if your fronts detach. Just shorten them up from the top.
Also, when you go to sell you home in the future, self close drawers have a definite appeal to buyers.

Also add the self-close hinges.  You only need to replace one hinge per door, so not so much work and not so much cost.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.